View Full Version : Eaton's new E-LOCKER pros and cons

Chris N5CWM
07-19-2002, 08:06
It appears the new Eaton E-Locker,
http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/new7.htm

is a neat piece of equipment. But reading into
the techno aspect of operation, I'd rather have
the regular G80 in my rear alxe. This is why:

"The HUMMER H2 application is driver-selectable, providing the driver control of the electronic locker when the vehicle is placed in 4WD low. While in this condition, the driver may lock or engage the differential at speeds of up to 7 MPH. Before the differential receives power, a control module will make sure all parameters are met including transfer case position, vehicle speed and left to right tire speed differences or the delta speed across the axle. This sequence of events occurs in less than

DmaxMaverick
07-19-2002, 14:57
Chris N5CWM

I wouldn't worry so much about it.
Eaton manufactures and sells the E-Locker as a locking differential unit. The hardware is simple and has 2 functions. Lock and unlock. Any other parameters or conditions are added by the OEM to control this. If you add it as an aftermarket thing, the parameters are controlled by the installer, if they will even be available for the application.

As far as the parameters being set by the OEM, they will easily be defeated, if that is your desire, with a little shade tree engineering. With an electrical control, the ECM has to anticipate and control conditions that are built into the mechanical unit. The conditions described to be required for electronic operation are similar to the mechanical unit, minus the 4 low (don't understand the principal behind that one).

Another thing. The preset conditions installed into the Hummer may be completely different than other OEM. Cheers

Chris N5CWM
07-19-2002, 23:07
DmaxMaverick,

I'm not too worried about it. At first it sounded
like cool new technology, which it is, but the part
I don't like is the lack of a "limited slip". Without
some sort of clutch pack type of on-road compatible
limited slip, driving a high torque vehicle like the
Dmax, 8.1 or any GM V8, will be suckin', especially
in the rain!

The current G80 Eaton diff has both a clutch type
limited slip AND if that starts to slip excessively,
the Locking device. Much better IMHO.

I'd love to see an E Locker with a limited slip!

Of course, I believe the E-Locker will be the
superior differential in the really rugged off
camber terrain where it can be locked and not
self-disengage from time to time which the regular
mechanical G80 will tend to do.

JoeyD
07-23-2002, 15:12
I didn't think the locking rear in the GM was any type of limited slip kit is just a locking rear. I have a 98 and it has no clutches in there. It also will not lock at speeds over 30mph or so. Mine is very tight and will lock right away if it needs to off the line or off road.

Colorado Kid
07-23-2002, 17:08
The Eaton Gov-Lock, which is what the G-80 in 2500HD and 3500 is, is a locker, and functions as an open diff when not locked (speeds above about 20 mph). There are friction plates in there, which might be mistaken for the clutches in a limited slip, but they are only there as the source of the force necessary to lock the diff. Eaton has a good description of the operating principles at their web site. It looks to me like the E-locker has less of the tiny little "clockwork" parts than the Gov-lock, which has a reputation among rock crawlers as being weak. Perhaps the E-locker will be stronger as a result. Personally I know of an '82 C-10 with 150,000+ miles on which the Gov-lock still works like new, which is a whole lot better than I can say for any "posi" limited slip. I haven't broken mine, and haven't read about anybody breaking one in an 11.5" rear end yet, but I don't try very hard with my 2WD.

slapshot44
07-24-2002, 11:47
If you're driving in the rain (or other slippery surface) with a limited slip rear, watch it on the turns. I've been sideways several times already in the Duramax.

And if you're doing it with a high torque vehicle, watch it on the straightaways too. I've had the exciting experience of seeing the cars behind me through the front windshield instead of the rear-view mirror while applying a little too much throttle (while going straight) in the GTO in the rain... I'm sure the D-max is capable of this "trick" also.

hoot
08-02-2002, 14:32
Here is what my G80 looks like inside....
See the "friction plates"?

http://www.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/duramax/gmc/mag-hytec/images/DSCN1154.jpg