PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Trannys Are the WORST

HDMXDiesel0817
10-02-2003, 19:56
Just venting here:

Ok, I spent 2+ hrs yesterday with the tow truck/diesel mechanic yesterday trying to get the trannsmission in my 'company' century class truck to get 'unstuck.' I don't know how this happened, but I was on a slight downslope at the red light, with about...oh maybe 32k on the back of me. Slide it into a higher gear, still in low range, either 4th or maybe 5th. So I get it in there and then the light turns green...nothing. Ok what's the deal, try to move the stick out of gear, nada. What the heck? It was jammed, oh wow was it jammed. Couldn't move it out of gear, to neutral nothing. When I took my foot off of the clutch and brake it felt like the truck was moving backwards up the hill? Now I swear that I put that in a forward gear. What happened here?

We removed the rubber covering at the base of the stick and removed the plate from the top of the transmission (sorry I'm really not technically inclined...though I'd like to be smile.gif , smelled like stale beer, sure could have had a good one then) The forks on the top of the trans. both on the left and right were parallel, the middle one was forward, and he (the mech.) thought to get that back parallel with the rest, well no joy on that. To make a long story short the truck is in the shop now, probably getting another new or reman rockwell in it. I got a nice Mack with an Eaton Fuller, man I love those trannys, I've missed them so much, I cannot stand those rockwells...they grind like there's no tomorrow, up and down. POSs worst trannys IMO. Eaton FULLER Trannys ROCK!!! NO Grinding, they float.. I don't want to drive anything but those...

Oh and btw, the truck had about 442k on it, now I'm not sure if those miles were all on that tranny but I have a good feeling that they were. Anybody else out there have any experience with these types or can possibly help me understand why this could have happened? Even though I have given very little info about it. tongue.gif

[ 10-02-2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: HDMXDiesel0817 ]

jjgmc
10-16-2003, 19:01
get an allison