PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports BLASTS Dodge CC

csimo
07-31-2002, 17:30
The September 2002 issue of Consumer Reports tested the new Dodge Ram Crew Cab truck. The model tested was a 1/2 ton, but most applies to the new heavy duty line for 2003. Here are some quotes from the article:

"The Dodge Ram was redesigned for 2002, but improvements are too modest to keep pace with current competition. The ride is stiff and jittery, the cabin is noisy, the rear seat is tight, and fuel economy is the worst of a bad lot. Braking and handling also fall short."

"While the new Ram is better than the old one, it breaks no new ground. By contemporary standards it has a punishing ride, noisy cabin, and tight rear seat. It's tough to climb in or out, and the V8 gulps fuel without delivering much performance."

"The Ram rides stiffly and busily on just about all roads. The rear hops sideways on sharp bumps. Rough roads constantly jolt the occupants, and the cabin suffers from wind and road noise."

"Finishings are hard plastics, some of which feel flimsy."

"The rear (seat) is wide enough for three adults, but the seats are umcomfortable and leg room is tight."

If you read the article it seems that Consumer Reports actually tried to find some good things to say, but there were very few. The article tested the Chevrolet Avalanche, Ford F-150 and the Dodge Ram. They placed exactly in that order with the Ram being the worst of the lot.

I have nothing against DaimlerChrysler (I worked in management for Chrysler for 14 years), but they seem to have missed the boat with their new trucks.

I was going to wait and see what the new Ram offered before buying a new truck, but couldn't wait once I drove the Chevrolet. Looking back I'm glad I didn't wait!

NutNbutGMC
07-31-2002, 17:48
^...Dodge was NEVER on the boat, much less miss it. DILLIGAF?
:D

Silver Bullet
07-31-2002, 20:19
Hey Nut I thought for a brief second YLLYGAF! Naaaaaaaaaaaaa! :D

I like the outside of the D**ge, but I agree the interior is lacking...same with the F**ds. As much as I don't care for the Avalanche vinyl siding, the interior is nice and I know what is under the hood!

NutNbutGMC
07-31-2002, 20:22
^...LMAO @ SB... Good one.... :D

hoot
08-01-2002, 08:34
I also read a review in one of my rag mags. They were very unhappy with the engine power/mileage. They claimed it had the poor mileage of a big block and the power of a much smaller engine.

Steve Cornell
08-01-2002, 12:22
I have had a new Dodge CC 1500 rented for my company for the last several weeks and I can confirm the poor performance gas mileage, it is a decent truck and rides and drives ok however it is not nearly as comfortable as my 2500HD CC.

The Dodge 1\2 ton has been getting 11 -12 mpg on the highway and 7 - 8 mpg off road (oilfield)

My 8.1 does better that that, I get 12 -13 and sometimes 14 on the highway.

I posted in the 8.1 \ 6.0 forum that I would never complain about gas mileage again smile.gif

More Power
08-01-2002, 12:57
Transferred to the "General Diesel" forum.

MP

NickLeinonen
08-02-2002, 08:32
i most likely will be buying a 2k4 2500 ram with the cummins HO engine and 6spd 4x4. i want the solid front axle. i probably will never lift it, but if i do, i want it to be easy. stiff ride doesn't bother me. my pop's silverado has a stiff ride compared to my tahoe, but it doesn't bother me, and the dodge will be even stiffer. i love that cummins I6 engine, and now with the new commonrail setup like the dmax's have, i will like them more [and they will be quieter! smile.gif ] while i want a proper CC, i have no need for anything more than a reg cab. i don't like the ext cabs much because of the backwards doors so the dodge is kinda of a compromise. ext cab space with CC style doors. the HD rams will have good brakes. 13.9" discs at all corners. those are huge! [that's why they have to come with 17"wheels :( ]
fuel economy will be no problem with the diesel under the hood.
as for the interior, it is kinda cheap looking, but many vehicles are that way.

i have been looking at the big 3 for a new truck, but the dodge seems to be the choice for me.

-the new ford vt365 based psd has an egr system which is something i do not want
-the 03/04 chevys are not that pretty, but the gmc is ok, but i perfer the 02 of both

hoot
08-02-2002, 14:28
NickLeinonen,

Keep us up to date on the new Dodge Cummins when you get it. It should be an interesting engine.

One of the negatives on the new Cummins in the new style body they are say is lack of room for maintenance uner the hood.

Tsckey
08-02-2002, 15:43
A neighbor recently bought a Dodge 1/2 ton "Crew Cab" Short bed to tow his new travel trailer. The Dodges are very nice looking, but I was surprised at how little room there is in the back seat. The seat back is flat and nearly vertical and the leg room didn't look any greater than my Ex Cab Sierra. The trick utility floor the have is a nice feature. All in all I don't think the package is nearly as appealing as ours.

TC

NH2112
08-02-2002, 17:24
Nick,

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there won't be any more solid axles under Dodge front ends - they're going to IFS for the 2500 and 3500 for the 2003 model year. If you want a solid front axle, your only choice is SuperDuty.

GrayMax
08-03-2002, 10:08
NH2112,

You are wrong - 2500 and 3500 4WD Models will continue to have solid front axels.

Regarding consumer reports - I respectfully disagree with their assessment of the new Dodge. I had an '02 rental for two weeks in Las Vegas and found it very difficult to turn back in - I wanted to take it home with me. It had the 4.7 engine in it that had impressive "giddy-up."

- The ride was stiff, but not uncomfortable - I like it quite a bit. However, not recommended for those with a glass asses.

- The cab was no more noisy than a '03 Chevy 1500 4X4 I recently rented in Salt Lake City.

- Leg room tight in the back - yes, I agree. Don't buy the truck if you plan on hauling 3 adults in the back all the time.

- Finsishings are hard plastic with a flimsy feel. Which new vehicle isn't? Have you taken a close look at our beloved new chevy's? Check out the sheet metal that you can bend with your hand and also the interior moldings - they too are just as flimsy with a cheap feel to them.

I have not driven a new Ford, but if I were to choose a new 1500 truck today - it would most definately be the new Dodge over the Chevy. Better looks for starters (I can't stand the site of the Avalanche look) quicker, better equipment (no donut tires and rims on the Dodge.) Cab friendly - great vision. Felt like I was in a truck - seemed to Dwarf my 2500 DMAX in height and feel. I can't even imagine how the new Dodge big rigs are going to feel!

Regarding fuel milage - never really checked it. The gas guage did not seem to suck down quickly though. I would be willing to wager it is competitive with Ford and Chevy.

Hoot - lack of room for maintenance under the hood of the new Dodge - again, which new vehicle allows room? Don't even start with our DMAX trucks - GEEZ!

I will be buying me an '04 3500 SRW Dodge once they come out. I have taken the advice of others and shying away from the first year model. I have an '01 2500HD/DMAX and have had the displeasure of putting up with first year model blues. I did not heed the warnings before on first year model trucks - this time I will.

All in all - I like the new Dodge trucks (the new blue they have is awesome.)

Ford still has the "best looking" truck in their Super Duty. If I could only have the Super Duty truck body, with a new Cummins and an Allison behind it - That would be my ultimate truck.

I read consumer reports and other magazines as well to get their cut - nothing like hitting the field yourself and forming your own opinion, but that's just me and that's how I see it. Have a great day guys.

Bart Timothy
08-03-2002, 11:20
What Consumer Reports says about automotive subjects doesn't have much credability, from my personal experience. Comparing the Avalanche, Ford F150 CC, and new Dodge?? They all appear to designed toward different market nitches. The Dodge looks to be directed toward the traditional pickup truck buyer. Be danged if I can figure out who the Avalanche apeals to, and the Ford looks geared toward someone in the middle of the three. If the Dodge in the article was equiped with the old generation 5.9 engine, things will change with the introduction of the new 5.7 hemi, which has a full 100 hp increase.

Can someone tell me what "boat" GM has been on with respect to the diesel truck business? Until the release of the D/A they weren't any where near the same league as Ford and Dodge for 10+ years. Furthermore, I think it can be argued that GM is one of the largest contributors to negative public feelings about diesels in this country, because of some of their previuos "adventures" in that area.

NH2112
08-03-2002, 20:31
GrayMax,

You're right. I took another look through my TDR magazine and there it was, bigger'n Stuttgart - "four-wheel-drive trucks continue to have a solid-axle front."

hoot
08-05-2002, 15:08
From TDR........

"The new body style presented packaging challenges for Cummins. Underhood space is 30% smaller on the new generation Ram. One challenge will be oil filter changes-it's very tight in there.

The recommended method to change the filter is from below the truck with a long extension and an oil filter socket. Yes, an oil filter socket. I noted the bottom of the filter is no longer a perfect circle, but rather has straight edges that connect allowing the use of an oil filter socket. However, if you go at the filter change from above, it looks like you will be able to remove the intake tube from the airbox to the turbo and have enough room to change the filter. OK, the good news is that oil change intervals have been increased to 15,000 miles from the previous 7,500 so you won't have to change the oil as often. The engine is also tucked up deeper underneath the cowl. On previous models it was difficult to access the injector on cylinder #6. On the new model it looks like that will become #4, 5, and 6. Adding underhood accessories or putting on different turbos is going to be difficult simply because there isn't much room. Clearance between the compressor side of the turbo and the shock tower is about 3/4 inch so a larger turbo will most likely necessitate exhaust manifold and exhaust changes."

I believe the Dmax is has the most room now of the big three (2003). The new PSD is even worse than the old PSD. I believe half of the Cummins in under the dashboard. They need one of those van engine covers inside to make it easier to service.

Consumer Reports is rated "WORSE THAN AVERAGE".

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>