PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil, Amsoil???????

socaltoolguy
08-04-2002, 17:49
I am new to being a diesel owner and also new to this board. I am thinking about changing engine oil over to synthetic and I have noticed a lot of mentions of synthetic in the different posts. I only have 3600 miles on my 2001 3500HD and I have heard that I should not switch until 10-12K. Can any of you folks that have more experience with diesel engines and synthetic lubricants give a me a little advice. Let me know the pros and cons. Thanks for your help. Ray :confused:

mackin
08-04-2002, 20:15
Ray,
You ought to bring this post over to the Duramax Forum...You'll get a lot more responses and opinions......
Most do as I did at least three quick changes, 500,2500,5000 miles.....at that point I went to Amsoil synthetic......Pros are it has better lubrication qualities for extended drain intervals..... Cons price especially if you don't do oil analysis like me and dump early, just an old dog that can't be retrained.....to me there is no concern to changing to synthetic early as you want, most high performance cars come right out of the factory and if you don't use synthetic they void your warranty......Case and point the Corvette.... Like I said bring your question over to the D-max forums lots of guys and gals that would give you advice on this and other subjects, ask away .... Good luck....

MAC smile.gif

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

socaltoolguy
08-04-2002, 20:41
thanks mackin for the heads up. I'm still finding my way around this site. It is almost too much to digest all the available information. I put a new post on the Duramax forum. thanks again. Ray.

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: Ray Scrafield ]</p>