PDA

View Full Version : New Navistar VT365 at work

Blacktruck-1
08-07-2002, 09:37
New bucket truck arrived last week. 4900 Navistar. Sloped front end, Lots of chrome, wrap around headlights etc. Has the new VT365 engine. I assume it's the corporate version of the new 'stroke. My present ride has the T444E. Good overall performance but lots of turbo lag. I'll take the new one for a spin and post a comparison when they finally assign it.
Took a quick look at the engine--Upper half of the heads appear to be aluminum--The metal around the exhaust ports is definately iron. Injectors are external--below the valve cover rail. Lots of electronics and wiring harness. Turbo is center mounted and quartered like the T444's but has more shielding.

sk
08-07-2002, 12:01
Blacktruck-1:

On a slightly different subject -- I would be interested in your opinion of how the truck drives compared to your old one (steering, manuevaribility, etc.) How does the steering feel? Does it take much effort? Does it center itself well? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Scott

Blacktruck-1
08-07-2002, 22:17
SK
My old truck is a 2002! It has additional torsion bars in the front end because of the weight of the 40' fiberglass boom overhanging the front end. My "older" truck was a 1998 4700 with the DT466/Allison mt545 combo. Shook like crazy-rode like crap--kidney killer. New old truck rides and handles much better. steering is light and accurate. Good turning radius (better than my DMax crew cab!) Still a little stiff in the ride department though. Could use an air ride seat.
The '03 has a split bench highback arrangement. feels comfy. The sloping hood gives an excellent view of the road. A lot less likely to run over mail boxes etc. When I put some windshield time in it I'll update the post.
Kirk

lineman
08-08-2002, 11:04
Hey Blacktruck one ! Where in the world have you been ! You should drive my old truck-- a 1995 hd 3500 with 150,000 miles and about that many hours on it. Also has a Teltec squirt boom--38 foot. I should get a new one in 2003. I hear it will be a F--d 550.I wish it was a new D-MAX !!