PDA

View Full Version : 83 - 6.2 ELECTRIC HELP

RG Euch
08-25-2005, 08:51
FROM rgeuch@aol.com - Starter continued after key turned off - finally the yellow wire (barred wire from previous instulation ?) shorted out - replaced both yellow and black that to large terminal with the batery cable and still no power to switch - assume there is an inline fuse ? but all I can see from being under is the original y/b lead into a solid rubber 3/8 x 1' cylinder over both wires. Is this an original in line fuse. QUESTION - can I cut both wires above the solid rubber and replace with new seperate 18 wire fuses and connect with 2 seperate 16 regular light fixture wire to large terminal? HELP

DmaxMaverick
08-25-2005, 10:07
Welcome to the forums!

You've likely found your problem, or part of it, anyway.

The "cylinder" you found is a fusible link, which is like an inline fuse. It is not repairable, so it has to be replaced. There are options for either replacing with another fusible link, or use a Maxi-Fuse holder. I'm not certain about the '83, but some later models had 2 links. A bad one will usually show a cooked covering, or be brittle. They should be flexible and rubbery.

Once you get juice flowing again, be sure your original issue is dealt with proptly. Have a method of disconnecting the power quickly, for obvious reasons.

Check the starter cone for cracks, and the starter bolt holes in the block for cracks, and of course, loose starter bolts. If any are present, what may have happened is the starter gear is misalligned and is preventing the starter gear from retracting, keeping the solenoid engaged. Been there. Done that. If all appears OK, it's likely the solenoid that needs replacing.

If you need a wiring diagram, there is one posted on my "truck stuff pics" link in my signature. Select "diagrams". They are for '85, but the starter circuit should be the same.

Good luck!