PDA

View Full Version : Diesel rocks in fuel economy comparison!

More Power
09-05-2005, 09:20
An article in USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-06-10-diesel-vs-hybrid_x.htm) compared the fuel economy for a Toyota Prius hybrid against a VW Jetta diesel in a run of more than 500 miles. smile.gif

mhagie
09-05-2005, 14:54
Too each their own but I woud not want the toyota even though I curently own a Camry and do have brand loyalty.
My Camery will do 35+ mpg which is great, I also have a 04 vw golf TDI 5 spd that produces 44-49 mpg.
The hybred will require a battery pak in just a few years and how much will that cost?, the vw only requires synthetic oil and I can handle that.
In town the Prius wins,leave town its the vw hands down.
Merle

NH2112
09-05-2005, 18:33
They never do seem to mention that the hybrids are meant for mostly city driving, with short trips, etc. Popular Mechanics had an article a few years back where they found that on longer trips where you don't do much braking (regenerative braking charged the battery on their car) you end up with a low-powered gas engine working its butt off, and their mileage was only about 36 or 37mpg. Personally, I think the whole hybrid system is too complex and would much rather have the proven VW diesel even if it does mean a fuel economy rating that's less than what the EPA estimates for the hybrids. You know the VW engine will go 300K miles with few, if any, problems.

Tough Guy
09-05-2005, 19:35
Peugeot Diesel (http://www.greencarcongress.com/fuel_efficiency/)

This car gets up to 68 mpg!!!!

Scroll down to the 8th article if you want to read about it..

There are several other articles of interest included in this link, most about compacts from a variety of manufacturers with Diesel engines that get high fuel economy numbers...

Cheers

rjschoolcraft
09-06-2005, 05:34
It will be a cold, cold day somewhere before I ever drive a compact car...

Ever heard Paul Shanklin's parody "In a Yugo"? ;)

Tough Guy
09-06-2005, 05:56
I hate to say this, but if fuel prices double again....I'll have my 6'2" 215lb self happily behind the wheel of one these "roller skates" just thankful I can afford to go somewhere...

I know what you mean Ron....its sad. Kinda like in the seventies when your driveway needed to be the size of a Costco parking lot so a guy could turn his car around.....I sure miss those big ugly gas sucking cars....

Cheers

More Power
09-06-2005, 06:05
I think the above article demonstrates the inherent advantages of diesel power. Across the board, diesel power would allow for a reduction in the amount of imported oil, and people would still be able to drive and enjoy the type of vehicle they like - whether that be an SUV or light-duty pickup.

One thing I've not figured out is why gas fuel economy hasn't improved all that much during the past 15 years. In 1991, we bought a used 1990 Olds Cutlas Calais 4-door soon after our daughter was born. We needed 4 doors for car seat access. That car, with its 2.5 TBI gas engine would deliver 33-35 mpg on the Interstate at 70-mph.

Fuel economy is on the minds of a lot of people. A page we have entitled "Diesel Economics and Fuel Economy" (http://www.thedieselpage.com/mileage.htm) is the most requested page so far this month, and 7 out of the top twenty search strings used on search engines to find our site include some variation of fuel economy in the wording.

Jim

[ 09-06-2005, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

madmatt
09-09-2005, 05:50
Glad I don't have to worry about fuel milage anymore. My new Company pays the bill :D

wxman
09-10-2005, 18:16
Another "diesel beats hybrid mileage" article, SUVs this time:

link (http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2848359&fSectionId=751&fSetId=381)

Marty Lau
09-15-2005, 10:04
Originally posted by More Power:

One thing I've not figured out is why gas fuel economy hasn't improved all that much during the past 15 years. In 1991, we bought a used 1990 Olds Cutlas Calais 4-door soon after our daughter was born. We needed 4 doors for car seat access. That car, with its 2.5 TBI gas engine would deliver 33-35 mpg on the Interstate at 70-mph.

Jim Jim;
My theroy on that issue is that people are buying larger cars with larger engines. More V-6's producing 230HP vs 4 bangers producing 140HP, plus more automatic transmissions. We been considering a "new(er)" outfit for my wife. I've looked at the Ford Escape for example they come with a 2.4L 4 or 3.0 V-6 you can't find one with a 4 you have to order it new that way the dealer doesn't stock them because "no one want the underpower 4". Just my thoughts on the topic.

Marty Lau
09-15-2005, 10:13
Originally posted by Tough Guy:
Peugeot Diesel (http://www.greencarcongress.com/fuel_efficiency/)

This car gets up to 68 mpg!!!!

Cheers Chris;
I will NEVER OWN ANOTHER PEUGEOT DIESEL! We had one for 3 years and......well for 2 years it was a great car, nice ride confortable, 44-46 mpg bit under powered with 56hp 4 cyl Diesel but who cares it was well built. The problem was the glow plug controller craped out and Guess what Peugeot made 3 different controllers in the 504D but to save cost they made one to be used on all three......well the controller put out too many amps for the our glow plugs and the other GP's wouldn't fit the engine and you burnered up glow plugs about every 2-3 weeks at $9 a pop. Click and Clack said it best...."only the French deserve to drive French cars".