PDA

View Full Version : Water in Fuel

Ba rooga
10-16-2003, 09:52
6.5L Turbo Diesel 1994 Crew Cab 1 ton Cheyenne:
Having water in fuel problems on and off for 6 months. Suggestions?

DinoMax
10-16-2003, 10:20
Ba rooga, welcome to the forum! I would start by changing where I buy my fuel from. Stations that sell a large volume of fuel normally have less water problems. I would also start using a fuel additive if not already doing so. Lastly, make sure you change your fuel filter at regular intervals. Good Luck, DinoMax :D :D

Ba rooga
10-16-2003, 12:58
Are there better filters of filtering systems available? I have exhausted all the service stations that are convenient for me. I keep my tank topped up against condensation which is a problem in our climate of Vancouver. How about additives that are proven to be effective?

DinoMax
10-17-2003, 14:09
Ba rooga, there are plenty of additional filtration options, just do a search and you'll find more info than you probably care to read :eek: Most are going w/ additional filter for fuel contaminents, other than water, to prolong injector life on the Duramax. I guess you could add additional filter/water separator, but it will probably just increase you maintenence cost if water is consistently present. Check out John Kennedy's website for additives. He is a member of TDP, and has a wealth of GM diesel knowledge. IIRC, it is www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) Good Luck, DinoMax :D :D

tom.mcinerney
10-29-2003, 19:43
If you install a second filter cannister with water sensor, you can relax from the time the first, 'till the second sensor light comes on.
Spare 'take-off' fuel conditioners are avail fr Avant Salvage/ Diesel Depot, and also Peninsular Engines(also local boneyard!).
Some consider water in fuel a real threat, different additives act different ways on water and fuel system components.