PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Headlight Assemblies, Which One?

TurboDiverArt
03-26-2004, 03:35
Hi All,

Here

diesel65
03-26-2004, 13:07
I would wish that Sylvania come out with a HID system for our 88 to 99 OBS like they have for the NBS 2000+.

Bobbie Martin
03-26-2004, 18:07
Art,
Just a couple of things to consider. First let me say I have never seen the parts on eBay, so this is just a guess. These appear to be cheaply made knock off parts, probably from China. I would really doubt they have the same optics or are made from as good of materials as the factory lenses. If your lenses are really bad, they might be better. However, if they are made from inferior plastics they will probably be worse than what you have relatively quickly. New OEM from the dealer would probably be better than what you have, but the price is higher.

I think you are really grasping at straws here. I don't know of a way to drastically improve the composite lights. Yes, you can make slight improvements, but you will never approach E code lights. What you need are glass lenses with quality optics using halogen bulbs. - which, as far as I know, are not available in the style you like. So you have the classic 'can't have your cake and eat it too' dilemma.

Shuck
06-18-2004, 13:45
Not to resurrect an ancient thread here, but APC does make a glass-lensed low beam replacement for the composite 90-99 C/K trucks and suburbans.

Scroll down about 1/2 way http://www.performancestyleattitude.com/parts_html/light_headlights.htm

DennisG01
06-18-2004, 14:34
Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be easier to just add and extra set of driving lights? Maybe someone out there can add their 2 cents worth about this (mine is usually only worth about 1 1/2 cents! smile.gif ) I have not added driving lights, yet - but it seems a much easier way to go.

catmandoo
06-18-2004, 17:36
well my 92 with 410,000 miles have the worst headlites on the planet,i swear a flashlite would work better,but my 94 suburban with 140,000 has the best lites i think i have ever had. as far as i'm concerned i think i'm gonna buy the gm units and be done with it.i don't drive at nite near as much as i used to and i'm usually home before dark in the winter so they really don't get used much i think the ones on my truck have just had the crap beat out of em with so many miles.

Perry
06-18-2004, 18:38
Is it possible to use the quad sealed beam setup of the 88-91 trucks in the pre-99 trucks? The look would then be similar to stock, but then you have real glass lights.

My 89 Suburban had much better lighting pattern with the Sylvania Sealed beams compared to my 99. I've done the relay wiring kit and brighter bulbs, and you get more light which is a huge improvement, but the OEM plastic lenses even in good condition provide pretty bad light pattern.

I was debating on converting the grill and light to the work truck style so that I could take advantage of some really nice optics from Hella as they offer it in the 6x8 sealed beam style as well as the 7" round or quad round setup.

Perry

More Power
06-19-2004, 11:59
The earlier 1988-91 quad sealed beam headlight assemblies are a direct bolt-in for the 1992-1999 trucks/Suburbans that originally came with composite. You will however need to install new lamp connectors. Your existing grille will work fine - no change. In fact, you'll see it has the cut-outs for the quad sealed beam hdlights.

I've switched two 1989 trucks that were equipped with quads to composite.

MP

izak
06-19-2004, 18:23
The lenses on my headlights where etched (UV damage?) so I replaced them with the cheaper ones like you found on ebay. I am happy with them as a replacement to stock. The only difference I saw was the adjustment posts are made of aluminum instead of steel, and the posts have a slightly different head.

DA BIG ONE
06-21-2004, 05:39
I have changed to the APC glass projection beam setup.

The brackets and adjusters are sub-standard, the headlights wobble as a result.

When you adjust the low beams properly, the high beams become useless for anything other than lighting up the tops of trees only. So, I settle for something in-between.

Bulbs, Philips too, burn out within 1 month if you run DRL with the aftermarket harness run from the battery and switched only by the factory harness. With the aftermarket harness bulbs get full juice always, so I pulled the fuse for the DRL so the lights last longer.

I am thinking about trying the ACP clear glass units now, but may have the same problems w/brackets, maybe can adapt the factory GM adjusters and brackets.

I have found nice driving lights, "HELLA" which have a feature that lights up an additional bulb which illuminates the area right or left automatically of the turn you are making. At just under $400. they are pricey but they do deliver.