PDA

View Full Version : putting Cummins 3.9liter 4BT in K1500

redbird2
09-09-2005, 20:43
Has anyone had any experince in installing a Cummins 4BT into a K1500 mine is a 1996. with a 4L60E transmission, I have all the brackets, I looking for infromation about a stand along transmission computer, or if there is a way to adapt to use the factor computer if I add a TPS to the fuel pump. If anyone knows anything about this I would apperciate your input, I have seen repaorts that this combnation gets good fuel mileage in jeeps. This truck was a donor truck for a engine, computer and wiring harness swap into my 1998 K3500 to make it a diesel so I have little or nothing in this truck just wanting to see if I could make this work and get high MPG.
thanks

NH2112
09-10-2005, 13:49
A friend swapped a complete 4BT w/driveline into an 84 C2500, it seemed to be a pretty easy swap and the thing really does drive nice - starts up easily in cold weather (-10F), gets about 30mpg, and will even beat a PowerStroke off the line. Putting it in a newer vehicle will require some electronics work, especially if you have emissions inspections every year, but the 4L60E will handle stock power levels without any trouble.