PDA

View Full Version : DT 466?

84 Convert
10-21-2003, 21:52
Just wondering if someone out ther would tell me what kind of experience they have had with DT466's. I'm still kicking around the idea of a repower. I figure this engine will require a bit (or a huge amount?) of firewall mods, but they seem to be quite plentiful. Also, what about turning them up? The highest hp rating I have seen is 230 and I'm reasonably sure a 466 ci TD should be capable of alot more than that and still be reliable.

Thoughts? Opinions?... Bring 'em on!

Gregg

Colorado Kid
10-22-2003, 07:29
I spent 6 years in a past life driving large yellow vehicles with balck stripes and seats for up to 85 people. In the fleet of 60 vehicles we had more DT466's than any other motor. Now I work for an outfit that has many slightly smaller bright orange vehicles with plow blades. . . .still lots and lots of DT466s.

My opinion of them, after 16 years of playing with them, is that they are the very definition of stout equipment. I've never see one seriously wounded. I've seen a couple of fragged turbo's, it this respect the DTA version has an advantage, when the turbo shreds the parts go into the (in IH terminology) aftercooler, and not into the cumbustion chambers.

They are very heavy . . . the difference in weight between a B-series Cummins and a DT466 is absolutely noticible from the driver's seat.

They don't make big bags of power. Many, perhaps most, of them are rated at 160 HP. They have great throttle response for a TD, even at higher elevations, this makes them much happier with big loads and in traffic than the Cummins, even though the Cummins are rated at 190 and 210 HP.

Neither of my government employers does performance enhancing mods, so I really don't know about bombing potential, but the EGT's and smoke levels stock would lead me to believe that 230 HP is closing in on all you're going to get without finding a way to dramatically increase airflow.

I'm almost completely ignorant of the DT466-E, and if any software changes can be made to hop it up.

I think putting a DT466 in a pickup is probably going to be very difficult. . . the weight and dimensions of the engine are significantly larger than the B-series Cummins . . . it's probably 8" taller. The torque and RPM range are way out in left field compared to pickup truck components. Most of the accessories will be problematic too, for examle the batteries in these vehicles are many times the size of the ones in our pickups.

I really like the old DT466, but if you want one in a tow rig you probably ought to buy and old bus and cut it down rather than trying to reassemble oickup parts around it. Just my not very adventurous advice. smile.gif

84 Convert
10-22-2003, 18:41
Not very adventurous, maybe, but you have answered a couple of my questions. I did see a post elsewhere about someone who put a C-series cummins in an F-250. I tend to get a little adventurous at times, and thought that looked like a cool swap. Of course, there is always the new DT530 which from specs looks to be the same block, but with 300 hp, 900lb/ft. YEEEEHAAWW!! However, I tend to try to stay away from electronic-controlled engines as they are generally more expensive to work on. I also like the idea of a project like this because of the fact that few people do crazy things like this. My first real vehicle project was turninga 2WD 6.2,700R4 truck into a 454, stick 4WD. that may give you an idea of how overboard I can go.

Gregg

Tractor
10-22-2003, 18:59
What a project!!!! The state of Wyo has several DT 466 in the International 2 ton 4yd trucks. They are a good engine. Most are rated at 210 hp. They have been pushed hard. Some give out but all do every once in a while. If you can put one in a pickup, I,am sure you can get it more air, cause I think 250hp is stamped on a few of them. FYI the state did try some DT 530 and they were not worth a plug nickel. They were in the 8 and 10yd trucks. There they are now staying with the M11 CUMMINS and both the 3176 and C10 CATS.
TRACTOR...

Burner
10-22-2003, 19:28
The Dt-466..that's the V-8, right? I have the I-466 in the tractor but I don't think it could be shoehorned into a pick-up.

Burner------> :D

Colorado Kid
10-23-2003, 08:21
Nope, the DT466 is what's in that tractor. Six in a row. Long, Tall and heavy, but not very wide at least. That's why I'm a little scepticle about it going into a pickup.

Anything is possible. Some things are very difficult, expensive and time-consuming, but anything is possible. :D

84 Convert
10-26-2003, 21:44
Well... this is what a forum is all about... bouncin' ideas off of people you'd never get to meet other wise. The height is what seems most difficult to fit. I do work in a well-equiped shop that would make that kind of thing easier and less expensive, but still not a bolt-together like the first one. Gotta love GM interchangeability! This may never happen, but I am checking out what options exist. I know NH2112 has a Volvo that is just itching to be installed, and turbokid had an Isuzu, and there are more cummins conversions every day. Any other off-the-wall suggestions. Ideally I would like to repower with something that would (A) FIT (B) be rock- solid reliable (C) be fairly plentiful for parts availability (D) be powerful enough to make it worth doing.

Any other suggestions?

Gregg

Burner
10-29-2003, 12:15
Ok, I forget sometimes. That's the motor in the old TD-15C. Yeah, I went out to the yard and man...... there is NO WAY you'll get that thing in a pickup. I bet that motor weighs 1,500lbs or more. However, if you got it to work, nothing could or would out pull you! Well, in a pick-up. I know it pushes my little 32k Dozer around pretty well. :D

... Almost got into a fight a few years back with employee over spraying either into the intake. :eek: I know first hand that these IH motors will not work (start) in cold weather after having used either.

Burner------> :D

84 Convert
10-29-2003, 21:54
Yeah, IH specs say 1450lbs, but the fellow who put the C-series cummins in his truck said it weighed about the same, and didn't cause too much trouble. It is mainly the physical dimensions I was concerned with, and it still sounds ot of the question.

Thanks for the info guys.

Gregg

mhagie
10-30-2003, 10:05
On e-bay a while back was a 30 series with a GM 8.2 w/allison I don't know the HP ratings but it looks like a relatively easy swap.

dieselhumvee
10-31-2003, 07:12
here i s good idea for a repower
http://www.teamdiesel.com

arveetek
11-18-2003, 08:17
You should be able to put a 466 into a pickup. I saw an old Ford F250 a few years ago that a guy had stuffed a Detroit 671 into! It was a tight squeeze all right, but it can be done.

You might have to do some firewall modifications and come back into the cab with a small doghouse. That 671 truck did.

My dad bought an '85 International medium duty with a blown 7.3L n/a in it. We replaced it with a Dt-466. We even had to install a doghouse on this truck, but that's because the 466 was much longer than the v-8.

You'll have to do some calculations on gearing and such. Dad had to install a Brownie overdrive unit behind the Allison auto in order to get the truck to drive at highway speeds. The 466 ran much slower than the 7.3L, so it needed higher gears.

What kind of tranny were thinking? Auto, manual? I wouldn't try any auto behind the 466 besides an Allison medium duty. And those trannies are huge! You'd have clearance issues with that as well.

My dad is currently building a truck from the ground up using motorhome, heavy truck, and chevy pickup parts. It's got a Detroit 671, Allison, Brownie, and Chevy rear end in it. Can't wait to get it on the road!

Casey

84 Convert
12-14-2003, 21:55
As for the tranny, I was thinking of the 7-sp that I've seen in IH medium duty trucks, and changing to 3.54 axle gears with a possible lift and 35" or 37" tires to keep RPMs down on the freeway I really DO NOT trust autos behind diesels, even the medium-duty allisons have to run behind de-tuned engines. At least that was what I found when looking at Cat engine specs. This is probably more dream than reality for now, but I'll let you all know if it does happen.

Gregg

ueckebes
12-18-2003, 20:27
I COMMEND YOU ON THIS ADVENTURE ALTHOUGH IT MAY BE DIFFICULT DO TO THE WEIGHT AND LENGTH OF THIS ENGINE. ANY WAY HERE ARE SOME SPECS THAT MAY HELP YOU.DIMENSIONS L=45IN ,W=29IN H=41IN COMPLETE ENG LESS OIL,CLUTCH ABOUT 1425 LBS.SPECS ARE BORE 4.59 STROKE 4.68IN OLDER ENGINES [ROTARY PUMP STYLE],HAD HP RATES FROM 165 TO 210 TORQUE IS 420 TO 520 LBS.NEWER STYLE INLINE TYPE PUMP ENGINES HAVE HP RATES OF 165 TO 270 AND TORQUE RANGES OF 426 TO 740 LBS. 215HP AND UP CAME WITH AFTER COOLERS . LATE 90'S STARTED ELETRONIC CONTROLS, PRODUCTION OF 466'S IN TRUCKS BEGAN AROUND 1975 THEY ARE OF A SLEEVED DESIGN . I HAVE TWO DUMP TRUCKS AND MY BROTHER HAS THREE WRECKERS ALL WITH THESE ENGINES ,WE HAVE [EXCELLENT] LUCK WITH THEM. MY ADVISE IS FIND A SCHOOL BUS WITH ONE IN IT AND BUY IT YOU WILL BE MONEY AHEAD. ALSO ROTARY STYLE PUMP ENGINES ARE A LITTLE CHEAPER . GOOD LUCK

c130
12-30-2003, 08:32
Holy stinkin cow Greg! I would almost contribute funds to see you put a DT 466 into a pickup truck. Notice I sayed almost.
I think your idea would make a great engine swap. And as far as those big ol batteries used to spin that beast, I have placed my batteries in my tool box in the bed and ran the cables under the cab, (aka. remote battery location)and a junction box under the hood to hook up stuff. Naturaly I put them in battery boxes to protect them and my other stuff in the tool box. They don't take up that much room in the box, and leave a ton of room under the hood for aftercoolers and fresh air intake.