PDA

View Full Version : high idle switch for 2001 vw jetta

jcallachan
09-27-2005, 16:34
Can anyone tell me if a high idle switch on a 1.9 vw will work. Some vw owners say it wont. Works on every diesel I know so why not vw diesel?

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2005, 23:09
There are a lot of variables to consider. I'm not familiar with VW Diesels, although nowadays, I'd like to get real friendly with one.

High idle on older vehicles was simple, and many had them OEM for one reason or another. Mechanically operated throttles....You have something to push/pull, so it was simple.

On later vehicles, with electronic throttles, AKA "drive by wire", not so simple. Nothing to push/pull. On GM, and other brands, the Diesel (or other "commercial" type applications) programming has a consideration for PTO. With a PTO, you need a method of controlling engine speed. In GM's case, this was done with the cruise control circuit. The current method of activating the high idle, such as on a Duramax engine, is to enable, and access the PTO circuit. The control, once enabled, is with the cruise control switches on the turn signal stalk. There have been a few variations with the harness and electronic communication, but is essentially the same throughout the years. This also worked on my '95, which didn't have OEM cruise.

I'm pretty certain I've never heard of PTO on a VW. If it has cruise control, you may be able to figure something out. In any case, you will have to talk to the computer some way, if it is electronic. If it's mechanical, it should be as simple as installing a solenoid to hold a throttle position, such as a choke pull-off. Or maybe a cable device, like a choke cable.