PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Switch removal

Phil Holmen
03-26-2004, 09:16
Does anyone know offhand how to remove the outer trim ring from around the ignition switch to enable me to remove the upper steering column cover??

diesel65
03-26-2004, 12:58
The trim ring on the lock cylinder does not come off, you need to use a right angle pick and blindly search for the release hole.
I can tell you that it is up there and you need to turn the key into the crank position to press the release button with the pick, so diconnect the batteries first.
If you have a little inspection mirror it will help you locate where the hole is.

Chad Mac
03-26-2004, 14:34
I'm glad someone else has experienced this problem too. I have got the bottom part changed where it plugs in under the dash above the pedals but the top is giving me all kinds of problems. It runs now but it looks pretty stupid hanging down above the pedals and having to reach down to start it. One problem is that I don't have an inverted torx socket and can't find one to fit those screws at the ignition switch. Where in the heck do you find those things? Also, I'm having the same problem you were about getting that the ignition ring off. Can you be a little more detailed about the release button and how to remove it? Thanks for the help in advance.

Chad Mac

gerickson
04-09-2004, 19:25
FYI,
To replace ignition switch or key tumbler assembly on my 1996 K3500, the plastic ring around the key tumbler assembly must indeed be removed in order to remove the upper steering column cover. In mine there is no hole with a spring release. In your vintage perhaps there is. If not what you do is the following:
Remove steering wheel.
Remove bottom steering column cover.
Remove screws holding top column cover.
With top cover loose, slide it left as far as possible to expose the back side of key tumbler assembly plastic ring.
Using steel picks, and micro regular screw drivers, pry the steel compression sleeve off the back of the plastic ring.
With compression sleeve removed and now hanging loosly around the key tumbler shaft, the plastic ring around key tumbler assembly will now simply pop off.
Now you can finish removing the upper column cover from over the tumbler.

The special torx screws holding the upper column cover and the key tumbler/ignition switch assembly both on and together are actually called