PDA

View Full Version : need a frame

ulhpilot
03-26-2004, 09:44
Well, I went and totaled my pristine '92 Reg cab 3/4 ton C6P. That's the bad news. The good news is I can buy it back from the insurance company as a salvage vehicle and put it back together. But I'll need a frame. I really would like to get this truck back on the road. Is this too much work for a home mechanic and a few friends? Should I just say good-bye and get a new truck? If not for kinking the front part of the frame, the rest of the truck (sans the usual front end stuff) is completely usable.

JoeyD
03-26-2004, 12:33
It's not hard just time consuming. Stripping it down will make it easy, just label everything as it comes apart.
Take a big flat piece of cardboard and push the bolts thru it and you can label on the cardboard where they go.

CaseyR
03-26-2004, 21:20
With my next major project I am planning on taking lots of digital pictures with my medium resolution camera with a big memory stick. If I get stuck on the rebuild, hopefully I can print out that picture and figure out what I should have remembered...

eracers999
03-26-2004, 22:31
Load it up and take it to a frame shop, your truck should not be a problem to straiten out.
Kent

ulhpilot
03-31-2004, 05:24
Update. Insurance pays me $6500.00 payout (minus my $500.00 ded) for my truck. Or, for $1200.00 I can buy it as a salvage vehicle, and take home $4800.00 and either part it out or take my chances getting it repaired elsewhere. I've decided to buy it back. Now, where/what is the best source for a '92 frame? I've got some BIG plans for ol' diesel!!

JoeyD
03-31-2004, 13:06
Have a frame shop look at it 1st. See what they say, a lot of times if the frame is bent bad in one area, there will be another area tweaked as well. This model line tends to bend in the center between the bed and cab if the impact is hard enough.
Saying that do a search on the net under rebuildable wrecks and see whats out there.