PDA

View Full Version : I-6 Cummins

mdapperdan
03-16-2003, 21:17
I have made the plunge and aquired the '97 Cummins 12-valve.I spoke about in an earler topic. I have more questions. Will I have to relocate the radator surport? Does the frame need to be boxed. Has anyone seen this swap? I'm looking for suggestions on the engine/trans mounts
I have a Dana rear with 4:10's and would like to go with 3:56? Will the front springs need to be changed? I now have a 454 Che. gas.Does anyone have the weight of the cummins to B.B. chev.
Thanks Dan

KevinK
03-17-2003, 09:13
You should take a look at the TDR discussion forums (www.turbodieselregister.com). They have a whole forum on Cummins conversions. I'm sure you can get all of your questions answered there.

Kevin

turbokid
03-24-2003, 15:46
What year are you swapping it into?

mdapperdan
03-24-2003, 17:35
Thanks for the questions, I thought I was going to have to work this out myself? Two heads are always better than one.
I have a 1-ton '73 Chev. dually. And If it means I have to stop all else going on in my life than it shall be. I have a 6.2 now but will be installing the Cummin's as soon as I find out what I will need for this swap.
Thanks Dan

turbokid
03-24-2003, 19:09
KevinK is right, the TDR is a great resource, which I am a member of... However, the membership fee can be dissuading...

One more question: is it four wheel drive?

If you look at my sig, the engine I installed is very similar to the cummins in size and weight. I installed it in an '84 3/4 ton Chevy... I did not have to modify the radiator support... I have 1/2" between engine and flywheel and 1" between fan and flywheel. (No fan clutch, but I haven't had the fan on for the past six months, done several hard pulls, and never even had to use my dual electrics mounted in front of the radiator- though I will probably put my fan back on for pulling in the summer.)
No, I do not believe that the frame needs to be boxed, my engine weighs 1000 lbs, as does the cummins, and I didn't box the frame. My transmission also weighs about 300 lbs (with fluid, it's an allison auto) and part of it's weight is also supported by the motor mounts.
I completely cut out all my factory mounts and crossmembers. Both my motor mounts are welded to upper and lower parts of the frame rail, with a crossmember running underneath in between them made from 2" square tubing.

I've seen several cummins swapped into the older body style chevy, though I can't remeber one into a '73... I'm pretty sure the engine compartment is the same size, though it might be slightly longer...

Any More questions, feel free to post or e-mail me at t1880jrd@msn.com

On edit: almost forgot about gearing... I'm using a FF 14 bolt, and went to 3.21 gear ratio and am very happy with it... I have no overdrive and can cruise at 2450 rpm at 75... It's not the best, but a lot better that 3126 rpm's at 75 with 4.10's... I don't care what anyone says, I can pull just as well with 3.21's as the next guy with 4.10's... Low gears are a poor fix for a lack of power... (Unless you want to crawl offroad.)

[ 03-24-2003: Message edited by: turbokid ]</p>

mdapperdan
03-25-2003, 18:25
Thanks for the responce, The '73-'87 1-ton trucks are the same. I hope to have a clean installation
if possible. I'm interested about the front engine
mounts and trans. Will I have to butcher the radator surport. Since there is no carb. does the motor need to be level?
Thanks Dan

turbokid
03-27-2003, 12:17
No, I don't believe you will have to butcher the radiator support, I've never seen anyone who has...

No, the motor does not have to be completely level... The only thing that would interfere would be the oil level in the pan, and you have a lot of tipping before that becomes an issue...

I don't know what type of transmission you want to use... but an SAE #3 bellhousing can be had fairly cheap for a cummins (I had one that I sold that included flywheel and everything) I have an SAE #3 housing and am using an Allison AT542 four speed automatic... It's a good transmission... And they can be found for fairly cheap- around $500...

john bertges
03-27-2003, 22:14
does anyone know if someone makes motor mounts to install a i6 5.9L cummins engine in to a 1990 chevy

EWC
03-30-2003, 20:28
I hate to tell you this but someone had the adapter and flywheel to put a TH400 behind the Cummins on e-bay last week . Seems they put them in bread trucks and use the TH400 . I bet the Avants could give you some more info on the parts .

john bertges
03-30-2003, 23:13
do you have a web site or phone number or address for the avants

DogDiesel
03-31-2003, 06:10
avasalv@mylink.net
1-478-552-1901

mdapperdan
03-31-2003, 18:33
If someone can follow up on any more information about the Turbo 400 behind a Cummins. Please let the rest of us know.This sounds like a winner.

Diesel Dan
04-02-2003, 00:00
Turbokid,
What is the first gear ratio in the allison?
I'm willing to bet it's lower than a TH400/727/C-6. That is what helps offset your 3.21 gear. My 5.9L is pretty doggy of the line with 3.07s and a 727, will pull most anything just takes a little to get it rolling.

I'm planning on installing a 1993 5.9L CTD in my '91 suburban with a 4L80E. So far have the motor, 1 ton axles, 4L80E harness from '92 6.5TD.
Adapters on their way from avant salvage. My swap would be much easier if I only wanted to use a TH400!

turbokid
04-02-2003, 13:35
Diesel Dan- Yeah, My first gear is 3.45 to 1, as opposed to 2.48 to 1 for a TH400... it's pretty good off the line... :D
Everyone else- I have an adapter ring to bolt a TH400 up to an SAE #3 bell, as well as the adapter to go between the flywheel in my Isuzu and the flexplate for a Th400... It was originally behind my engine, but I opted for the much stronger allison... I can get some pictures if anyone's interested...

EWC
04-02-2003, 17:27
TurbKid , I'd be more interested in the intercooler that you come up with . I saw your pictures , very cool . What are you thinking about location and size for the new intercooler ?

turbokid
04-05-2003, 11:43
EWC- Yeah, the homemade intercooler (23 half inch diameter copper tubes in two layers using 2" by 3" rectangular steel tubing for tanks) I am using took a little to make but it seems to work well as a replacement for my grill... After a hard pull, you can feel it from one side to the other, and it definitely gets cooler...
I have about a 2 psi drop across it... I am not sure how efficient it is, though, so I have purchased an HX-35/12 and an intercooler out of a first gen cummins... It has a core size of approx. 32 x 13 x 2.5, with aluminum tanks... I am going to mount it in front of the radiator support and behind my grill... It is about 5" too narrow to fit directly around my wide radiator... So I am going to cut off the drivers side neck and re-weld (TIG) it on the side of the intercooler, allowing me to run a pipe around the side of the radiator...
I will try to take pictures when I put it in...

mdapperdan
04-06-2003, 14:41
Turbokid;
I really enjoy reading these posts. I just don't understand all the lingo? Can someone tell what a SAE #3bell is and how can it be used in the project I'm working on? (I-6 12/v Cummins with a Turbo 400).
If anyone out there reading this that may have the parts needed to complete this Cummins/Turbo 400 swap, For Sale I would be interested.
Thanks, Dan :eek:

Paintdude
04-06-2003, 17:21
A buddy of mine just bought a 03 Dodge Cummins,2 wheel Drive,Ext cab,Long bed ,1 ton ,single rear wheel truck this week...

Real quiet and a nice truck..I must say I really like it..He is one happy camper..

We worked 3 hrs making a 96 Roll-in Lock fit on the bed yesterday.. smile.gif

Jelisfc
04-09-2003, 09:43
I just saw a Cummins Suburban today. Not the newest style pre 2000? Lifted 3/4 ton with a solid front axle and a right side pumpkin. Interesting since Dodge runs a left side. Didn't get a chance to look close. He was getting coffee and I was still at the pump.