PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem with PSD....

GMCfourX4
01-01-2006, 15:15
A friend of mine recently got a '96 F250 PSD. The truck starts right up in the cold weather, and runs great until it starts to warm up (not sure exactly what temp). Once it starts to get warm, it pours WHITE smoke, and sputters, stumbles, bucks, etc. It may or may not idle well, depending on its mood, once this happens. If the truck sits (cools down) it will run fine again until the engine temp climbs, then the same thing. He's a great mechanic (owned his own shop fixing Volvos for 30 or so years) but is new to diesels, and Fords.... ANy help would be appreciated.

-Chris

Tough Guy
01-01-2006, 17:03
What does the truck do when fully warmed up and cruising down the road?

Chris

GMCfourX4
01-02-2006, 08:05
It never gets there. Once it gets partially warm, it starts to run like total crap.... However, I think I may have found the problem... On one of the Ferd forums I searched, I found someone who described the identical problem, and replaced a Camshaft Position Sensor and it fixed it. I have to say, for all of the bad things people say about the 6.5, I've never had to worry about anti-foaming agents in my oil, Supplemental Coolant Additive to prevent cavitation, injector o-rings leaking oil into the engine, turbo oil seals, and a host of other things described as commong problems with the PSD.

-Chris

madmatt
01-03-2006, 04:54
I'd suspect it needs a cam sensor like you said or just a simple oil change. The HEUIs are real picky about oil quality and service intervals.

Tough Guy
01-03-2006, 18:29
I have suffered a CPS failure and when it goes it will typically cause a complete shut-down...

Without more details it is difficult to say for sure....

An injector contribution test, compression test would be helpful as well as a lift pump test.

Have the fuel/oil filters been replaced recently?

Chris

ueckebes
01-03-2006, 18:38
brother inlaws truck did a similar stunt a few months back[95 ford].start with the cps module,it worked for him.