PDA

View Full Version : putting a cummins 5.9 in a 83 gm 1 ton 2wd any info on how

ueckebes
06-08-2004, 14:56
i plan on buying a 95 model ford school bus with a 5.9 cummins and allison auto. i intend on installing the 5.9 and maybe the auto, in a 83 gm 1ton with a 4spd tranny 2wd. any info out there on whats needed to do this . the gm currently has a 350 gasser in it.

More Power
06-08-2004, 18:00
You may want to evaluate the gearing. The early Cummins engines were governed at about 2700 rpm (in a pickup application), when combined with 4.10 differential gearing and no overdrive, will reduce the usefullness of the vehicle on the highway.

There'll be a new article available here in The Diesel Page on the 15th about a Ford/Cummins conversion project. The source info included in that article might be helpful.

MP

ueckebes
06-09-2004, 06:16
i had actually planned on keeping the four spd tranny in the truck so i could find a 2pd unit to bolt behind it, i figured this would be easier than installing the allison , plus trying to figure out how to get a 2spd unit behind it might be quite a challenge, besides selling the ally could offset some of the cost. ive driven bunches of 6.2,6.9 trucks with 4.10 rears and no od. talk about reving, like you say a 5.9 would really be a slow boat plus wear out quicker.