PDA

View Full Version : Olds 350 diesel

kaffine krazed
06-20-2000, 07:01
Does anyone know of a good forum for the 350 diesel? I'm looking into building one up for an engine swap into a Porsche 924.

Does anyone make heads without a precombustion chamber for them? Thanks.

TURBO-D
06-20-2000, 07:19
http://members.tripod.com/~A350Diesel/index-17.html here you go kaffeine, I think a 6.2 would be better, these 350's seem to like breaking cranks. this has to be the oddest engine swap I've ever heard of

kaffine krazed
06-25-2000, 16:03
Is the 6.2 bigger than a Chevy 350? Is the 6.2 direct or indirect injection? I'm just doing research now it'll be awhile before I can afford to try. I'm also looking at other engines that I could swap in.

FreightTrain
06-25-2000, 22:08
Maybe a VW Rabbit or Jetta Diesel? J/K. Heehee
Rick

Schtoo
07-09-2000, 06:16
This is the last place I EVER expected to see the name 'Porsche'

Followed by a profound WHY?

You have one of the sweetest handling chassis ever made, coupled with good brakes and tough cogbox, why make all that go silly by trying to fit a diesel, any diesel engine to it?

Now I know this is a diesel forum, and you have asked wether the Olds 350D will fit. The olds, to the best of my limited knowledge is very much based on a regular 350. In which case yes it will 'fit'. But it will not be as pleasant to drive as a 'proper' engine for the vehicle.

Having said that, a regular 350 will fit, as will the Buick V6 (and that works rather well) along with several other engines.

However, you should already have the original 2-2.5 4 cylinder engine in it. If you have the 2 litre, this is an Audi engine. Why is this so great? Well, Audi parts are much cheaper than Porsche parts, and VW parts are cheaper still. Add the fact that that particular engine has been taken as far as 700hp in turbo form (I know, I've driven one with 600hp http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif and you get a rather serious motor vehicle.

If the engine is a 2.5 4 cylinder, then you have a Porsche motor. This is a mixed blessing. Parts are expensive, but cheap extra horsepower is easy. Do not forget this is the same engine used in the 944 turbo, and anything upto 400hp is not out of the question. Even a gain of 25hp is as easy as re-tuning the thing. Yes, Porsche de-tuned the 924 with the 2.5, only so it wouldn't make the 944 look too slow.

Please, think very seriously wether a diesel is what you really want in this motor vehicle. If it were me, I'd be doing the deed with the 2 litre Audi.

kaffine krazed
07-09-2000, 18:30
It will deffintly give me a unique car. Also I'm a certifiable diesel nut and I absoultly hate gassers.

I'm trying to find out how much more wieght will be added by the diesel over the stock engine. I will use fiberglass body panels and hood to help keep the front to back balance the same also a blast shield for the trans should help. I plan to upgrade the brakes I don't think vacum assisted brakes would work well on a diesel http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif I don't think it will be to hard to lighten the front end of a 3,000 pound car to accept a diesel and using some ballast in the rear I should be able to get a 50/50 split front to back easily. Did I mention I'm crazy http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks for your input. I didn't know they where making that amount of power from those engines.

Schtoo
07-10-2000, 07:42
Unfortunately know all about the diesel addiction.

To make your job easier, there are kits available to fit either the buick V6 or a standard pattern chev into it. They will be thin on the ground nowadays, but seek and ye shall find. One of these kits would be the best bet, and using a V6 with a kit in these cars also means the standard balance is not changed (ever weighed a 2L Audi motor?)

I am not sure wether the gearbox is maintained from the car, or the engine in these, but I would guess the standard transaxle is kept. This isn't a bad thing, the standard 924 (volkswagen!) gearbox is very strong.

I wish you luck, but I would think/know that if diesel power is your desire, there are far superior ways to acheieve this that a 350 olds. Maybe a modern Isuzu turbo diesel?

kaffine krazed
07-12-2000, 03:29
I am looking into other diesels to swap instead of a Olds. I thought of the Olds because at the time I thought it was based off the Chevy 350 not knowing that Olds had a diffrent engine. I'm looking for a V engine between 300 and 400 CID to use. I'm sure evertime I have to work on the engine I'm going to yell who's dumb idea was it to put that engine in there only to realize it was my idea http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dolph
07-13-2000, 13:43
I'm not sure if 924's have the same torque tube and rear clutch configuration as a 944, but if they do it might be a BIG challenge to do a swap.

I seem to recall that Porsche did some experimenting with diesels. You might do some research to find out which engines and which cars.

At the '90 parade in Montery I saw a turbo 924 get a faster autocross time than a regular 944. It gave me more respect for 924's.

Schtoo
07-14-2000, 22:49
Dolph, yes the 924 does use the same torque tube setup as the 944.

From vague memories, the gearbox was a VW Passat unit of the same age. At least one of the conversion kits running around I heard of had a replacment floor pan so a more conventional driveline could be used. Not sure how they worked as the standard 924 setup was fine in operation.

All the 944 was meant to be was an upmarket version of the 924 entry level vehicle. So while the 924 had less weight, the 944 had more fruit. It isn't much of a surprise if two similar setups had different times, especially when the weight difference is taken into account.

kaffine krazed
07-14-2000, 23:31
I'm looking at a repair manual for the 924 and it shows the clutch on the rear of the engine. Form what I can tell I will have to keep the crankshaft centerline at the same spot because the torque tube isn't flexible. If I went with a a driveshaft with U-joints I would be able to change where the centerline of the crankshaft is. If I can I'd prefer to keep the torque tube although it will need to be modified to work with a new engine and I will have to have a custom bellhousing made.

I'll have to find out if Porsche ever put a Diesel in a 924 and what engine they used.

Thanks for all the help.

Schtoo
07-16-2000, 03:45
Haven't finished yet!

In answer to your question, Porsche never used a diesel engine in the 924. If they did put one in, it was never released. While the 924 was a low priced sportscar, it was still a sportscar and that almost demands something that goes well and uses gasoline. The only other engines used in that body style were the Porsche V8, the 2.5 and 3.0 Porsche engines and the Audi one used originally.

If you plan to pick one, try an engine from the VW/Audi group. They will not be as cheap as an Olds, but they will suit the engine bay better, and possibly require fewer modifications to make them work. Also consider the BMW diesel as there are motorsport parts available for this engine, as there also are for the VW engine.

Both are small, direct injection turbos, and making them really move isn't a major problem.

DieselDadd1
05-02-2001, 19:31
To Turbo D,I think you should also be aware of what problems the 6.2 has before you go around condemming the Olds 350 diesel.The 6.2 engines are also famous for snapping cranks as well as lower block problems.Problems in the lower block are not exactly a new thing.I know of several 6.2 engines that have alot of problems in the lower end of the block.I know of engines where the first and rear main bearing caps only supported the crankshaft.No's 2,3 and 4 had completely let go from the block with the bolts attached taking casting material with it.From 1981 Olds 350 diesels were very good and could compete with any 6.2 out there.

Big Green
05-03-2001, 06:14
While we are on the subject... If you are determined to put an oil burner in, why not consider the GM 4.3 diesel. There weren't too many made, but they came in front drive cars. It would be much lighter and compact than the V8. It doesn't match your wish for 350-400 cid, but it is another possibility.

Big Green

mike micklich
05-15-2001, 13:48
you want a powerful diesel get a v 6 vwag tdi

Volkswagen has built a competition version
of its TDI diesel engine that produces 170 hp, two fewer than a VR6 gas engine, but with 27% more torque. It was installed in a Group A Golf racer with an eye towards endurance racing: It will need to be refuel only ever four hours. (Car and Driver [March 1997]).

* April 1999, the Golf IV version of the racing diesel is now running around 245hp and around 370 ft/lbs torque from a 5 cylinder
TDI. For more info, visit the TDI
Motorsports homepage.
http://www.vw-motorsport.de/