PDA

View Full Version : Coolant

JRM
07-08-2000, 18:19
I have been hounding my friends to drain the auto type prestone out of there diesels for years, but none of them lisened until ones old 90'7.3 died due to stigmatention, totaling the block. I found the best coolant to use, it is the havoline gm dexcool silliclate free orange in color. Without sillicates the coolant cant cause stigmatention. I would also throw a bottle of Heavy duty additive in to be safe. sorry for the spelling, Joe

[This message has been edited by JRM (edited 07-11-2000).]

rrohde
07-08-2000, 22:54
Hey Joe, I thought I heard someone talking about a Diesel antifreeze/coolant. Have you heard anything about such a product? It's somehow different from the regular antifreeze/coolant you get at the auto parts store (Prestone, etc.)

Thanks

Ron

JRM
07-11-2000, 01:18
This seems to be a much bigger problem than I first thought. check out http://www.forddiesel.com
as this can happen to ANY diesel. Cavitation is a serious problem and you must use a coolant conditioner if you use auto coolant. I know fleets have it in the coolant they buy, but no idea where they get it. The best bet is the Havoline sillclate free coolant with a bottle of conditioner http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

rrohde
07-11-2000, 20:34
You are absolutly correct on the Dex Cool being the best coolant available. We have it in all our GM's, but I was always told to NEVER mix Dex Cool and regular coolant. This creates a problem at switchover. Can you sucessfully flush the green stuff and add the red stuff without mixing the two (at any point). I'll bet even a complete flush leaves some old coolant in the system. Mixing green and red is supposta cause the coolant to clot and can plug your lines. What do you think?

Ron

PS Good job on the ticket. Now someone needs to educate the cop.

kaffine krazed
07-12-2000, 03:19
Do the GM diesels suffer from cavitation? From the FAQ on Cummins web site they do not recommend using SCA (supplemental coolant additive) in the Dodge.

You can normally find antifreeze with SCA premixed at truckstops or you could go to a truck dealer. Also Napa carries the test strips and bottels of SCA I think it's called NapaCool but I'm not sure.

JRM
07-12-2000, 20:37
I switched all our gassers over to red last year.. I just ran strait water for a day then put the GM Dexcool in.
Not sure if the GM's suffer or not, they probley dont knock hard enough or maybe GM and Cummins use better metal in there blocks? I would use the Dexcool though for sure

JohnC
07-14-2000, 13:19
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kaffine krazed:
Do the GM diesels suffer from cavitation? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Short answer: No!

------------------

JC

turbo Al
07-14-2000, 16:41
Cavitation is only found in the FORD Diesel dictionary. Thats why they have the heated tailgate option--somewhere warm to sit waiting for the towtruck LOL http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Seriously though Last truck changed the antifreeze every year Rad died after 7 years and approx 80,000 miles. Told rad shop "It can't be I changed the anti-freeze every year" Yup your right it rotted from the outside in (road salt etc) This truck changed the anti-freeze once at 3 years, lost the rad at 135,000 miles and 7 years old--rotted from the inside out GO-FIGURE.
Turbo AL

krisstarr
03-12-2001, 00:56
I have been running Dex Cool in my Subaru Legacy (what I drive when there is too much snow for the old chevy) for 3 years now. I flushed it really well 3x and then put in the orange stuff. It has had no problems.

SteveO
03-12-2001, 08:02
rrohde,

I think your talking about Evans waterless anitfreeze/coolant..

http://www.evanscooling.com

I have seen some testing results over the past year or so and they look very good!!!!!

------------------
2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab LT, LB7-Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000 Series, Autometer Boost/EGT Gauges, Husky Floor liners, Vent Shades, Driving it!!
2001 Z06 Corvette&gt; I wish!
The Diesel Page member #330

Manic Mechanic
03-18-2001, 14:25
I changed from regular A/F to Texaco ELC and back to the green stuff again. The reason, regular antifreeze is much eayser to maintain if overheating/coolant loss occurs.

I lost some of my red antifreeze when I had a fan problem and the nearest station had only automotive antifreeze, so I had to settle for water and afterwards re-charge the coolant by draining the entire system and using new coolant. If I were running automotive antifreeze a simple test would have shown the glycol level and I could have added straight A/F accordingly. Otherwise ELC is definatly far superior.

Cavitation doesnt need to be a factor with either type if its maintained.

JohnC
03-18-2001, 16:24
There's no reason not to mix dexcool with the green stuff in a pinch. You just don't get all the benefits of the Dexcool. Nothing bad will happen, so to speak.

------------------
JC
Member #1346
'95 K2500 6.5TD
'93 C2500HD 6.5TD
'99 K1500HD 5.3
'87 F350 7.3 , '78 D150 318 (Sold)