PDA

View Full Version : Info needed badly!

NH2112
09-05-2001, 17:52
On a Volvo TD60 engine. I'm already decided on buying it and swapping it into my 85 K10, just for the unique factor (other work will be done at the same time), but I'd like to know what kind of power it makes stock, what it can be made to do, etc. Most importantly, is it or can it be a Cummins/PowerStroke smoker? I'm buying an engine and trans (Allison AT545) out of a box truck that was taken off the road due to rust, and a trusted friend says it runs like a champ. Anything anyone can tell me about this engine will be greatly appreciated, as there's nothing that I've found doing web searches.

------------------
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose free will

arveetek
09-17-2001, 22:05
I have no info as for you as far as that engine is concerned, but I do know that the Allison 545 is a light-duty tranny, and I've only seen it mounted behind light engines, like the Ford inline six cylinder 6.0 liter diesel, which is very weak, and other engines. If I remember right, you already looked up that info on the Allison website, didn't you? Seems like I've been told that the 545 is just a hair stronger than a TH400. I would think that that particular engine would not out-perform a Cummins or Powerstroke in stock condition, but again, I'm really just rambling!

Blacktruck-1
09-18-2001, 18:24
I dont know about the AT545 being a "light duty" tranny as I personally drove the he!! out of one in a 4700 series Navistar truck--behind a DT466 no less for two years. The truck was three years old when it was issued to me and now it's been turned over to the service center for crew support. (I am a troubleman for FPL) and runs fine. My new ride is a 2001 4700 Navistar with of all things a T444E in front of an AT545. The only way I've seen these trannys harmed is by changing from forward to reverse while the truck was in motion. I've had mine so full of water during the flood/hurricanes the last two years that the truck would not move because the water in the converter was boiling. The tranny was drained and refilled with C4 with no further trouble. Pretty tough tranny from my perspective.

------------------
Member# 5723

http://www.picturetrail.com/spankster

Onyx Black, Graphite Leather, All the goodies! '01 cc D/A LS 2wd order # Since 02/19 TPW 3/19 VIN 3/20
Arrived 03/29

DRIVING IT

BULLWAGON
09-20-2001, 18:09
I'm not familiar with that engine,either. What's the displacement and configuration(I-4,I-6,V-8)? Must be pretty lightweight if it's going in a half-ton. Do you know what kind of inj pump is on it? The Allison is an awesome trans...I'm not familiar with the 545. But I wouldn't judge their durability with a 466...most of them are 250hp or less.

NH2112
09-21-2001, 15:09
BULLWAGON,

The TD60 is an I6 and from the little I've found on it, I know it's 6.7L. A friend who owns a heavy-truck repair shop says it'll go in with very little problem, with only some firewall work needed to clear the back of the motor. I'm going with a 2" body lift, I suppose, in order to make clearance for the Allison, and that will help with firewall clearance as well. As far as the weight goes, that's not going to be much of a problem since I'll be getting new springs made for it (or maybe running airbags up front like I'll have in the rear.)

I'd love for this engine to let me smoke anything on wheels, but the most important part of the whole project is to have something unique - and I doubt there will be another tandem 14-bolt, 12' flatbed, Volvo TD60/AT545/Rockwell t-case-equipped K10 anywhere on earth! The friend I mentioned above has an 84 C20 that he swapped a 3.9BT/TH400 into (his grocery-getter LOL) and that's pretty unique, but mine will beat his LOL.

------------------
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose free will

[This message has been edited by NH2112 (edited 09-21-2001).]

BULLWAGON
09-21-2001, 20:40
I doubt you'll see another one of those either! Sounds like a cool project. Good luck.

------------------
98 Dodge 2500 4x4

kickinasphalt383
09-23-2001, 21:17
NH2112

That sounds like a great swap you have goin. I was thinking about a similar swap... except with a Caterpillar 3116 with a FSA 5spd trans into my 6.2 powered M1008. If you have any kind of info that you have learned that would help me I would appreciate hearing some of it, either hear or my address is nmazzocco@hotmail.com

Thanks and good luck with your project
Nick