PDA

View Full Version : Bigger should be better?

RLAM
03-27-2004, 18:41
Here I am looking for ideas again. I am replaceing the 6.5 in my motor home with a Peninsular AMG 300hp 6.5. I am upgradeing the radiator to a Griffith and clutch fan from Bill Heath. Bill is also going to re flash the computer and I am installing a remote FSD with a heat sink. I plan to increse the transmission capicity by a couple quares (4L80eod) and my question is, should I consider a torque converter up grade? If so what one?
Any ideas would help. I only plan to do this once and I want to get it right.

Thanks for the help
PS. anybody want to buy a slightly exploded 6.5 ?

markelectric
03-27-2004, 19:31
I really really like my ATS triple lock. It made a drastic difference in towing ability. I would have NO faith in a standard converter at 300 hp. Mine had been replaced right before I bought the truck and it didnot last 6 months and I might have been making 210 hp. pay attention to cooling for whatever you do.

eracers999
03-27-2004, 22:57
I will tell you this little known bit of info.
There isnt a tork converter out there that will take being operated below 2000 rpm (locked up) while being used to pull a load. The e prom or chip that you use is important in helping you control this,
The TD max chip that JK sells at least in my truck will not let me under that rpm.
It has corrected many things that i see could cause a problem and is worth every penny. I would not hesitate to throw 300 hp at this converter (stock) with the proper electronics.
Just a flip side view.
Kent

tanker
03-28-2004, 05:22
when I replaced my engine :confused: I used an "Avant" 18:1 balanced unit, and I would guess I'm pushing the 300 hp mark. I also replaced my converter with a stock GM converter. However I also have a "BD" Torq-Loc and exhaust brake, so I can lock up in any gear as long as I'm over 34mph. I am near 150,00o miles on this transmission with lots of towing miles. I guess extra capacity will help, but my choice was added coolers. The best thing would be to add a 12-V fan cooler. This will also keep the engine cooler. It has a built in thermostat, and will drop fluid temps by 50*F. Good luck with your ride, should be fun. smile.gif

Diesel Dan
03-28-2004, 17:49
I'm in a similar situation. My converter took a dump, stock GM with 92K on it and stock motor. Looking at options, JET trans converter--$400, Hughes converter---$520, Suncoast----$1200, ATS $1100, JK's supplier ~$600, local tranny shop reman $115-198(sounds too cheap).

I really like the look of the triple disc converters with the billet housing. However, I don't think my 6.5 would make enough power to justify one of those. They do have the best warranty, 3 years, unlimited mileage and unlimited horsepower. I plan on installing a trans-go upgrade kit while I have the trans out.