PDA

View Full Version : Turbo conversion for NA Mercedes

jrlii
11-01-2001, 23:24
Does anyone have experience with turbocharging a Naturaly Aspirated 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel?

I've been told there are major differences between the OM617.912 NA engine and the OM617.952, though the guy who told me this had an engine, transmission & differential he was looking to unload. . .

DmaxMaverick
11-02-2001, 02:11
jrlii

Been there, done that.
There are significant differences between the N/A and turbo engines (MB). The turboed engines have oil spray pistion coolers, different pistons, rods, heads (including valves/seats, pre-cups), injectors and pump. You can do a change, but I would not recommend it.

A better and more cost effective method would be to buy a used TD engine or a wrecked car. Probably cost less than half compared to aquiring what will be required. My neighbor owns/operates a german auto shop and has his own wrecking lot, so it was cheap for me. The result was a nightmare. The rest of the car did not like the change. The rear end was geared too low, the tranny never shifted right (internal problems), and the engine didn't have near the power of a stock TD. If you want to upgrade, keep your eye out for a wreck with the engine/tranny/rear end/climate control and other necessary parts intact. The cars crash good and usually the power train will survive.

Good luck.