PDA

View Full Version : Lil' Diesel?

Nels
11-07-2001, 12:52
I have an off beat inquiry that may be outside the scope of this list. If it is, I apologize and can be contacted directly at gop4evr@lsol.net

I would be interested in picking up a small diesel engine of 1 or 2 cylinders, under 10 hp. I thought possibly something out of a salvage yard semi refer unit or generator. I can do some fixing, but it needs to be complete. Small size is important, as this is for a garden tractor project (Walk-behind). If anyone knows where such an engine may be acquired, or where the right place to ask is, please let me know.

turbokid
11-07-2001, 13:04
I have a little one cylinder lombardini diesel engine that puts out about 17hp. It is for sale. Other than that, I don't have any ideas for you.

------------------
1984 3/4 Ton Chevy
Tired of 6.2's after 16 years of ownership, and after one threw a rod 200 mi. after rebuild, so-
6BD1H Isuzu engine
(Direct injected 5.8 liter straight 6)
Aluminum rims, 4" lift, 33" tires
http://www.picturetrail.com/turbokid

NH2112
11-07-2001, 16:40
Try asking around with local contractors because I see a lot of them using Wacker Packers powered by a 1-cyl diesel, often with a compression release so you don't yank your shoulder out of its socket. They gotta get rid of them sooner or later LOL.

------------------
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose free will

jrlii
11-07-2001, 22:55
Take a look at the page for Hardy Diesel's raw engines:

http://www.chinadiesel.net/enonly/dieselengines.htm

If those are too expensive for you, you might try your state highway department surplus: look for a spare engine for a sign board trailer. These usually have Lombardini or Lister-Petter(sp?) air cooled diesels of about 5HP.

I've been threatening to buy a whole trailer. . . 3-5KVA generating plant and a stout little trailer for about the same price as the cheapest new gas generators. . .

- John.

Nels
11-08-2001, 13:12
Thanks for the responses, guys!
Actually, one of the smaller Lombardini engines would be ideal for my application, but I want to keep the cost down on this project. Dumping over $500 on a new engine would defeat the purpose. In looking at the Lombardini line, it seems that the 15DL315 (at just over 5hp) would fit the bill nicely. The 17 hp is simply too large, but thanks for the offer. The Highway dept. surplus sign trailer is one I had not considered. I might have to give them a call. I could use a small trailer anyway.

turbokid
11-08-2001, 14:24
sorry about that, I just found out that the engine is rated at 6hp...

------------------
1984 3/4 Ton Chevy
Tired of 6.2's after 16 years of ownership, and after one threw a rod 200 mi. after rebuild, so-
6BD1H Isuzu engine
(Direct injected 5.8 liter straight 6)
Aluminum rims, 4" lift, 33" tires
http://www.picturetrail.com/turbokid

Nels
11-09-2001, 00:32
The plot thickens . . . .

The usual questions --
Condition? Size, weight? How does the size compare to a standard 5 or 8 hp Briggs engine? Size is a key issue for this project. Any pictures? Price?

It may be time to take it off this forum. My e-mail is GOP4EVR@LSOL.NET

Nels