PDA

View Full Version : New Cummins HO dynoed

Vaughn MacKenzie
09-09-2002, 08:51
Last Saturday at Diesel Thunder in Spokane, Dishman Dodge brought out a '03 QC 4x4 longbed for us to check out. We passed the hat to come up with the $50 needed to put it on the rollers so we could see what it would do.

With 82 miles on the clock it put down 262hp/484tq. The dyno at Shelley's Automotive (where he had out event) is a dynojet.

While the truck is very quiet, a bit quieter than a DMax, it still sounds very good and Cummins-like (big 6) under power.

I have seen 4-5 stock DMax trucks dyno and they have been consistently in the 245-250hp range although with quite a few more miles and a little more broken in that this truck was.

Vaughn

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: Vaughn MacKenzie ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
09-09-2002, 14:15
Wahoooo! Those are some great numbers! I gotta admit, the only thing that put me off about the CTD was the noise. Now that noise is no longer an issue, there are probably a lot of people who were torn between a Dmax and CTD who will buy the CTD because of the proven track record, power and quiet.

Another nice thing is the aftermarket engineering that started with the CTD boxes and helped get the Dmax boxes out on the market. Now, the info learned on the Dmax can be "ported" over to the new CTD, boxes will be out soon and plenty of bombed 03s will be flying around before you know it.

It's getting dangerous out there! ;)

Regards, Steve

hdmax(mike)
09-09-2002, 17:59
One thing you have to remember, The new Cummins is a manual transmission. That will produce maybe 10% over the Allison.

hoot
09-09-2002, 19:58
Vaughn,

Inquiring minds want to know..... was it automatic?

Those are great numbers.

If it was stick then it will probably be on par with the Dmax in auto form.

Bart Timothy
09-09-2002, 23:00
The '03 CTD HO isn't avialable with an automatic trans yet.

Here are the results of Diesel Thunder dyno runs. The 2 top hp trucks have automatic transmissions.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?s=cd567553324cb5a9f39c6421652253e2&threadid=55578

At every dyno meet I've attended, the operators lockup the converters when dynoing automatic trans equiped trucks to get more accurate readings. There are very little differences in transmission hp losses between auto vs. manual tansmissions this way. This is sometimes difficult to do with a D/A, but I've seen it done many times.

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: Bart Timothy ]</p>

Vaughn MacKenzie
09-10-2002, 00:45
Hoot, it was the 6-speed truck (rated 305hp/555tq). I think the automatics are rated at 255hp. So, I would expect the DMax/Allison combo should be quicker than the new Dodge Cummins, both auto and HO versions (pretty hard to row the 6-speed fast!). . .given they are all in stock form.

It is interesting the torque number registered came in much lower than advertised torque. Another thing Dodge has been advertising is the new HO Cummins hits peak torque 400rpm lower than the DMax, supposedly the full 555ft/lbs occurs way down at 1400rpm. But a few more dyno runs will show if this is really the case or not though. Being a long-stroke I6 and given equal injection systems, I would expect torque to come in at a lower rpm. I don't know at what RPM it falls off though.

There was a '01 HD Chevy DMax that dynoed, it had a reprogrammed ECM and a box (which one I don't know) and 4" exhaust, it dynoed and sounded very good. It put down about 365hp and made very little smoke in the process.

We had an awesome time at Diesel Thunder and you guys oughta come next year if you can make it smile.gif The drag racing Sat. night was awesome, one guy bolted on a set of drag slicks on his '01 Ram and nailed down an insane 11.83 @ 118mph :eek: :eek: :eek:

Vaughn

[ 09-10-2002: Message edited by: Vaughn MacKenzie ]</p>

Chevy Ryan
09-10-2002, 09:52
Those stock dyno numbers on the 2003 HO Cummins seem low. Every stock Cummins put on the dyno in magazine tests I've read has put more power to the ground than advertised at the flywheel. Examples:
1994 5-speed, stock 420 lb-ft, dyno 473 lb-ft (Four Wheeler)
1997 auto, stock 420 lb-ft, dyno 437 lb-ft (Four Wheeler)
1998.5 5-speed, stock 460 lb-ft, dyno 525 lb-ft (Four Wheeler)
2001 6-speed, stock 505 lb-ft, dyno 605 lb-ft (Truck Trend)
Maybe they were underrating the engine before, and now they're giving us the real stock numbers.

hoot
09-11-2002, 07:01
I sat in a new Cummins Dodge last night.

On the outside, definately quieter than my Duramax.
On the inside, annoying low frequency drone. I think when they moved the gear train to the rear of the engine to reduce noise on the outside, they put noise on the inside.

Almost half of the engine is under the windshield/cowl although the turbo looks easy to get to.

The truck does not stand out like the old HD trucks do. Not as high (seems) and that goofy nose hides the front axle. That's one of the things I like about straight axle trucks is all that running gear staring you in the face. They have succeeded in hiding it. Bad move IMHO. I don't ever remember seeing a SFA truck where you couldn't see the front axle.

I think the GM HD's are more prominant now than the Dodge HD. Ford has them both beat with the SD body/frame.

Engine sounded great. The dash had really cool backlighting. Infinity sound system.... nice.

Maverick
09-13-2002, 22:33
My stock 3500 with the Allison dyno'd 258 rwhp and 477 lbft. This new Dodge with a manual got me by only 4 hp and 6 lbft. This has got me to believe the Duramax will still out pull this model stock to stock. :D :

http://www.thedieselpage.com/rendez/bd02ren.htm

Bart Timothy
09-14-2002, 01:03
I was told today that Edge is very close to intoducing their new box for the '03 CTD. It is appearently very easy to get the non-HO version up to the 400 hp point with a box only, and the performance potential looks very good.

Chris N5CWM
09-15-2002, 15:26
The Dodge application of the new ISB-E (common rail)
still has the front-mount gear driven accessories.

The industrial version block has them located at
the rear.

-Chris

Breck
09-19-2002, 17:01
Diesel Dynamics had a stock one that put down 277.8 rwhp at 2900 and had 505 ft/lbs at around 2200. I think that is the same dyno that had the dmax around 230-240 hp and 430-440 ft/lbs.

You can check out their graph along with the dmax's at their site.

V/R

Breck

WKener
09-26-2002, 17:37
Hmmm... 262hp/484tq seems a bit low to me, but then again, the truck only had 82 miles on it. I would expect it to be in the 275/500 range after 10K miles or so. I would also be interested in seeing the graph, 484tq may sound low, but peak numbers are of very little interest to me. I like usable power ;)

GMCTRUCK
10-07-2002, 14:02
I haven't seen 6 speed DMAX dyno numbers yet but, I ran away from a 03 2500 quad cab 4x2 Cummins HO with my 6 speed DMAX. It was a stoplight race up to about the end of 4th gear. Both trucks empty, mine stock other than bigger tires, and both trucks just over 1k miles.