PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 diesel getting the most out of truck

DIESELMAN 6.5
12-08-2001, 16:34
i bought my 1995 chevy 4x4 3/4 ton with 6.5 turbo diesel a month ago.i am new to owning a diesel and wanted to know from members of this forum what i can do to get the most out of the truck without spending a lot of money on stuff.how are the k and n filters as far as getting better fuel mileage? my pride and joy has only 84000 miles on it and i can tell from the condition of the truck that it has been taken care of.what other stuff can i do or get to get the most life out of the truck and engine ? any help would be appriated.p.s i want to get replacement rubber pieaces that go on the front brush guard.the pieaces are the big rubber pieaces that you would push something with.they are holded on by 2 bolts.i dont have a manufactures number at all on the truck so i dont know where to start.i have been to chevy dealer and auto parts places and nobody can help me.please help me with my ?s.thank you.

Tough Guy
12-10-2001, 20:40
Hey there,
There are lots of things you can do....air filter and exhaust..intercooler...Joining the "page" is money well spent, the articles volume 98' and 99' would answer any question you may have..

------------------
300HP 6.5L Intercooled Turbo Diesel
0-60 under 9.0 sec.
Member #136
18 MPG

merlin70
12-25-2001, 22:47
after the problems i have had with that motor, my answer is to get the most out of your truck yank out the 6.5 and drop in a 454!!!!

DIESELMAN 6.5
12-26-2001, 16:27
Thanks for Replying Everyonel: if i wanted a 454 i would have bought one . i hear alot of people complaining about these engines and dont understand what the problem is.Any product no matter what brand it is there will be problems no matter what.you cant expect these engines to do what a 855 cummings will do . These are 3/4 and 1 ton trucks .if you want more power put a chip in for more power or buy a banks exhaust system . Beef up the transmission if it doesnt work to your satisfaction. MY point is i have wanted a gm diesel for as long as i can remember and i am honestily impressed with it. i loved my gmc 1991 1/2 ton with 350 engine but guys i love my 6.5 turbo diesel so much i dont think i will go back to gas. I will buy the 6.5 as long as i can and then the new 6.6 duramax which i think is the best that i have seen from gm yet.you will have problems as i said but if you arent happy with them buy a freightliner then you can do what ever with it. i wont use my truck for pulling as much as most of you but i have all the truck i need when i do need it. i just get tried of hearing people complaining about them is all. i dont mean this in no bad way but it just doesnt make any sense .
I understand when you spend $35 to $40,000 on a truck that you want it to do what you want it to do but the truck is new to the market .Let GM get the bugs worked out of these trucks and you will see the best truck on the road on my oppion only. I have always been gm and always will.

Turbine Doc
12-26-2001, 23:41
I also am new to the diesel game but not GM my 90 1/2t also sits in the driveway getting tempermental not as purty as it used to be but the 4.6L in it has 185K on it no smoke and still strong. When I ran across some of the neysayers on the site I was set aback wondering what I had gotten myself into, but with the help of a few others on this site I think I will have found I have made the right choice, I'm still tickled pink to be a diesel owner. The number 1 mod I have seen recommended is a FSD cooler for the injection pump mounted FSD, my FSD started going flaky within 3000mi of me owning the truck, I bought it 2nd hand mint condition with 37K mi. anyway what I was told by others on the site was heat was the culprit, remove the fancy turbo cover and shelve it to let the heat get out, and install a FSD cooler to relocate the FSD to the intake manifold, I have since bought a harness that relocates the FSD to the drivers side fender where the old w. wash tank used to mount. My 2 cents

------------------
Tim
98 GMC 1/2t 4x4 6.5TD Banks Stinger Kit
Amzoil air filt
FSD cooler
KD remote mount harness
Pwr Trax No-Slip rear
3/4 t reprogram computer
No MAF/EGR codes
turbo whine not a jet but still sounds good more mods to come
Wife thinks KD is mistress