PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Diesel specifications

kevin s
12-18-2001, 21:21
Does anyone know of a web site concerning the hp, torque numbers and RPM's for the Detroit diesel two stroke motors. Or any of the Detroit Diesels. The Detroit Diesel web site is lacking in this area.
Thanks
Kevin

Bonanza78
12-19-2001, 16:21
I used to work for a company that ran 71 and 53 series Detroit's in just about anything that moved. Pot carriers, forklifts, cranes, etc. What is it you are looking for, cause I have a bunch of 53 and 71 series manuals, possibly I can look it up for you?! They are old (40's 50's and 60's) but they were the same for years!

Jason

kevin s
12-26-2001, 07:23
Bonanza78,
The project I'm thinking about is to put a Detroit 3-53 into a Jeep. So I was wondering about HP and Torque numbers at what RPM's and even more important the weight of these motors. Are parts still available? and what is a good price? So far the pricing I have seen is about $1,300 for motors with a advertised 3000 miles on them, They are coming out of a surplus gama goat. I also can get them with a GM Muncie tranny.
Thanks,
Kevin

Bonanza78
12-27-2001, 21:08
Actually a 3-53 would be way heavy for a jeep. It probably weighs more than a stock 6 cylinder. But the real "drawback" to a detroit 2 stroke is this... You are taking an engine just short of it's redline to make max power, rev it way up and hold it there. They work best in applications that are steady speeds, gen sets, cranes, etc. Like I said in my post before, we had them in almost anything you can imagine, and you could tell they liked cranes better than forklifts... In my in no way worth a dime opinion, you should find something smaller, like a Perkins 4 banger or even (ick, I can't believe I'm saying this) a Ford 4 banger. The ford was designed for highway applications so it has a broader powerband than a detroit, but I think they were pretty gutless (that's why they invented turbo's http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif)And I haven't even gotten into the noise issue. Have you ever heard a two stroke detroit? But I digress, most engines are redlined around 1700 RPM (ballpark, it varies) compression is around 17 to one, horsepower also depends on injectors, timing etc. If you prowl around on other sites, there is a guy by the name of Jay that has put a 3-53 (i think, it might be a 71) in a one ton gm wrecker. He goes by the name of moparx7 or c-body. He would be the one to talk to. Try looking on the 73-87 chevy truck pages that are out there. If you do decide to do it, good luck and may the force be with you!!! Post pic's too. Oh yeah, when we go back to work after shut down, I will ask one of the guys in r&d what his is, he has a wrangler with a diesel in it, turboed even...

Jason

kevin s
12-27-2001, 22:46
Jason,
Thanks for the information. Are you sure about the redline? the guy selling the 3-53 "said" that the peak hp(101) was at 2800rpms which is lower then the stock motor by 1k rpms but the difference is made up in tires and gearing I have planned for this Jeep. These are suppose to be amuminum block motors so my hope is the engine does not weigh 1000lbs or more. Anything else you can find out I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Kevin

Bonanza78
12-28-2001, 08:24
Kevin,
The info I have is pretty old, so the man selling it is probably correct. I haven't dealt with aluminum blocks but they probably weigh around half what an iron block does. That is cool. How are you running the exhaust? We put a chrysler v8 in a wrangler and it was a you know what to fit exhaust in, but being an inline you may have an easier time. These engines are LOUD so have the best muffler you can fit, you'll definately need it, and if you plan on street driving, you will be glad to have it. Have you considered running an automatic trans, it would be much easier to keep in the powerband than with a stick. Ask anyone who ever drove a "Jimmy" semi... I am only 26 and haven't done it all (yet). Oh yeah, don't forget to get a manual for that engine and the special tools. Those are an ABSOLUTE must. Have you ever worked on a Detroit? Certain procedures like setting the injector rack bounce can be intimidating the first time, but you'll get the knack quick. As far as cost, I was told figure $1000 a hole for a rebuild, so the 1300 for a used engine is pretty good. I love the 2 strokes, but the only problem I have seen is they are inconsistent in the time between overhauls. Some last 3000 hours, some don't make it to 500. Just go easy on it and it will treat you well. I've personally seen a 12 cylinder running in a pot truck minus the last two cylinders because the crank broke and pushed two rods out the block. The operator only complained that it seemed to be using more oil lately...
If it's an aluminum block, figure the weight is somewhere between a small and big block chevy, but definately under 1000 lbs.
Sorry I can't be more specific, I don't work on diesels as a profession anymore, but I will ask Harvey what diesel is in his wrangler. We go back to work next Wednesday, so I'll let you know then. If you start before then Good Luck and remember to have fun,that is the whole reason you are doing this, right? http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jason

kevin s
12-29-2001, 13:03
Jason,
Thanks for the information.
Yes I have driven a old tractor with one of these engines and it was loud. So yes I will try to get a quiet exhaust system on it. A automatic is a idea. Do you know if these engines will bolt up to a auto without custom bellhousing?
This project, I will be doing with my son over the next 3-6months so I'm just gathering information right now to limit the amount of problems when I start.
Thanks
Kevin

Bonanza78
12-29-2001, 14:54
Kevin,
I would check with advance adapters on that. They make bellhousings to mate almost anything together. I emailed "c-body" about your swap, if he doesn't reply here I told him to email me. Other than that, you seem to have a good grip on what is going on. Did I ask about the radiator? Get the biggest that will fit.

Keep on trucking.

Jason

Bonanza78
01-23-2002, 14:29
Kevin,

I asked the guy in R&D what kind of diesel is in his Wrangler, and he said it is a Jeep Diesel. Well sort of. It is actually a Renault diesel that was offered from the factory from 1984-88 in the Cherokee. It bolted right in (one of the other guys at work did the swap). He says it gets 18-20 mpg at 45 mph. Anything after 55-60 and the mileage really drops off though. Another option is a Toyota. He said that his wifes FJ50 Land Cruiser gets 25 mpg or better and has more power. Evidently the Toyota was designed as a stationary powerplant engine and has an air over hydralic governor. It offers very precise fuel control because once you set the throttle to where you want it, it keeps pulling back on the governor until the absolute bare minimum fuel needed to stay at that speed. They are really popular in Canada.

Just some other ideas.

Jason

DogDiesel
01-23-2002, 21:51
There are 4.3L, 5.7L, 6.2L, 6.5L, 5.9L and 7.3 L diesel longblocks and complete engines on ebay right now. Possibilities are endless.

kevin s
01-24-2002, 20:23
Thanks for the information. what made the 3-53 a idea was you can get it with a chevy 420 tranny for 1,395.00 plus shipping. And it comes from a company that you could work with if there is a problem. vs ebay that it is more of a "you bought it you got it" warranty. If anyone else has ideas I'm open as I'm still looking for ideas before I commit to anything later this spring.
Kevin

DieselYJ
01-25-2002, 13:51
I was seriously considering putting that engine (3-53) in my Jeep, but could not find one for that good of a price.
The only problem that i see you having is the depth of that engine. I am almost positive that you will have to go SOA to get that tall of an engine to fit in there.
I had a 4 cylinder perkins diesel in my Jeep and that is when I went SOA.

But good luck and make sure you do take pics of the project because that would be cool to see.

------------------
89 YJ with 6.5L turbo diesel out of a military HUMVEE

triggerman
01-27-2002, 00:10
Kevin,
I allso kicked the idea of a diesel Wrangler around for a while. My choice for an engine would be the Cummins BT4 3.9 liter out of a 80's Grumman P-30 step van, they came turbo'ed and NA. The turboed BT4-banger has about 115 HP/300 flb's of torque at 1,500RPM. The GMC p-30's had standard or TH400 tranies. I found these hi miles vans for $3500 and up.The other problem is since this engine is rated truck clase by the EPA, You would have to put it in a 68 or older CJ to get it properly registered here in New York.A shop called McClain Performance Diesel Service,15-B Truitt dr.,Eureka,MO 63025, 636/938-1118 has done a lot of these conversions. I would also consider a Ford 8.8 rear end out of a late model Explorer. the trailer pkage ones came complete with rear disk brakes. These rears are nearly as strong as a Ford 9" rear. You will need a axle that can handle all that torque. You will find a article on a rock crawler called Scorpion that use's this engine/TH400 combo in August 2000 Peterson's 4WHEEL&off road mag. Good Luck!!!

------------------

97 2dr 6.5 Tahoe, 88 F250 7.3, 73 JD 500A,86 MF 1010 4by,8kw diesel gen.,,If it don't rattle,it aint right!

DetroitBob
02-03-2002, 23:03
Kevin.
As to your question concerning power, I offer this: The 4-53T Detroit I installed in my 1975 GMC Dually is rated at 170 HP at 2500 rpm and 402 lb ft torque at 1800 rpm. The engine is 37" tall and weighs 1190 lbs dry. A 3-53 N/A would be about 100 +/- 10HP. Torque would be about 190 - 210. Weight guess 850 - 900 lbs. The 3-53 would also be 34 - 36" tall. Width may pose problems as the 4-53T is 32" wide. To obtain any highway speed, you would need some low gear numbers(3.40 or) and a high ratio O/D (30%) unit. Fuel consumption would be around .320 - .380 LB/BHP/HR.
Hope this helps.
One reason you were unable to find info on the web site, I heard that these engines are not being produced anymore due to their emmissions problems as they are 2 cycle. and very difficult to control emmissions.
Bob

kevin s
02-04-2002, 21:45
DetroitBob,
Thanks for the information the company selling these engines are getting them from gamma
goats. the blocks are aluminum. So the weight should be less. The engine would be going into a
pre-emissions vehicle so that would not be a issue. You are right the width and height might be a problem.
I'm hoping to pull the old motor out this weekend and then I can start the measuring to see if this
idea will hold water. To those interested, the web site the company selling the engine is
below. If anyone has dealt with them before feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kevin
http://adelmans.com/military.htm