PDA

View Full Version : intercoolers

dave3202
12-09-2000, 23:50
I have heard that an intercooler is not effective if boost pressure is 15 or lower. Is there any truth to the above statement? In other words, I would have to go to 18/1 pistons to make an intercooler practical? Any info would be appreciated

More Power
12-10-2000, 13:35
Moved to General Diesel..

DogDiesel
12-21-2000, 15:54
I have the boost on my 93 6.5 set at only 14 psi with an intercooler, and not only is there a difference, but there is a tremendously awesome difference. I have stock 21.5:1 compression pistons.
However, I do concurr that I would appreciate even more power with 18.5:1 pistons.
This is why I have decided not to pursue buying the Duramax, but keep my immaculately perfect 93 K2500 HD 4x4 Xcab and am ordering a Peninsular 6.5TDA and repowering it.
Since I only use my truck to tow, and drive an econo rig for no haul errands, it only makes sense to repower and not to make DuraMAX payments and full insurance.
I will up the boost. And if I get any more power than what I have now, and I fully expect I will, it surely will be an awesome ride, because I have never owned (note the word "I") a truck with as much power as this stock 6.5 with aftercooler, and the prospects of more torque and HP from the Peninsular is acertained.
I am crating my present 6.5 up and holding onto it for my next project, a 72-77 Ford Bronco with a 6.5 wedged inside.
I think an aftercooler starts to work for you above 11-12 PSI and under a load. I do not feel near the effect of it without a load although the truck surely screams. From 55 MPH, hammered, empty in 5th, it finds the govenor within 1/4 to 1/2 mile; contrasted that a stock 6.5 will never find the 3400 RPM govenor.

Dogdiesel