PDA

View Full Version : '79 Cadillac Eldorado with 5.7L V8

Adam
02-03-2002, 15:04
I am nearly 32 years old and I remember well the stories of my youth about these gasoline engines turned diesel--not good! However, since I have sort of become a diesel enthusiast and have purchased a few of them over the past several years, I went ahead and bought a Cadillac with this 5.7L diesel (102K Miles). I paid very little but the car is in marvellous shape. It is very peppy for a normally aspirated diesel, and lumbers up the mountains here in the Sierras at 60 MPH with just light pressure on the throttle. It does not use any oil to speak of, and believe it or not, on my first tank of fuel (all freeway) I calculated 30 MPG (not kidding http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif). The book says only SF/ "CC" or "CE" 10/30 or 15/40 oil. I put Delo 15/40 in it and I hope that is OK? What I would really like to know is what can I do for this engine that might make it last a long long time? Is there some kind of problem they had that a certain additive could help prevent?
Thanks!
Sincerely,
Adam Brodwolf

------------------
'96 GMC Suburban 2500 4X4 SLT 3.73 gears.
No modifications from stock. I'm new to this!

DetroitBob
02-03-2002, 21:49
Adam.
I have owned 3 Olds diesels since 1978. All 3 had problems with cracked heads between the valves. The 79 I own , was rebuilt 3 years ago because of head cracks. I would suggest you insure coolant level is kept full. One way to tell if a head is cracked is to open the radiator cap when cold and fire the engine, check for air bubbles/boiling of collant.
I also would hazard a guess that your Cad engine has been rebuilt.

Bob

Adam
02-04-2002, 21:04
Thanks Detroit Bob!
Are cracked heads generally caused by overheating? If so, should I buy a lower thermostat or a better fan clutch or something of that nature? I don't want cracked heads. That sounds painfully expensive.
Thanks!
Adam

------------------
-'96 GMC Suburban 2500 4X4 SLT 3.73 gears, factory cooling mods.
All stock.(I'm new to this!)
-'79 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz w/ 5.7L "Mr. Goodwrench" Diesel. (all stock except Racor fuel filter/separator).

DetroitBob
02-04-2002, 22:45
Adam, I don't think a lower thermostat will help nor the fan clutch. The head problem is just a weak area of these engines. Just keep the coolant level full.
Good luck

Bob

DetroitBob
02-06-2002, 23:35
Adam, here is another resource for your 350 diesel. Try "The 350 Diesel Page" ie
Olds-Diesel.com. This is a new web site for the Olds diesels. It has parts and info.

Bob

[This message has been edited by DetroitBob (edited 02-06-2002).]