PDA

View Full Version : GM mentality

Fathead
04-03-2003, 21:16
My brother works on a GM assembly line. His coworker turned in a suggestion and let all ten members of the team sign it. My brother didn't know anything about it but signed it anyway. Two weeks later GM awarded each of them five hundred dollars.My other brother also works on a line where they assemble large truck frames. A new design came down the line and he noticed a major design flaw.The engineers showed up and could not believe that they had made such a huge error. Even more so they could not believe that my brother discovered it. They shut down the production at several plants and halted all shipping immediately. They told my brother that he saved GM millions of dollars. GM gave my brother a free hat.
FH. smile.gif

K1XV
04-03-2003, 23:41
Did the hat fit? :D :D :D

DmaxMaverick
04-04-2003, 00:19
Too funny!
"Did the hat fit?"

I need a good chuckle at least once a day. Today was a total loss, until now. Thanks K1XV! :D

As far as Fathead's bro's experience, the wrong people got the message. Sounds like it got stopped before reaching high enough up the ladder. The guys that hand out the insentive checks are pretty high up. If an engineer finds a flaw in a design, the less that know about it, the better, for him. He probably received the same hat for the design in the first place.

Fathead
04-04-2003, 10:37
I think the hat fits.My brother wears it all the time.But he frequently throws it on the ground and stomps on it.
FH. smile.gif

K1XV
04-04-2003, 12:51
Well at least the hat fit. It could have been worse. It sounds like that by giving a hat as a reward, the suggestion stayed out of the official cash rewards for suggestions program, and somebody who goofed was protected. I used to work for a major oil company, and also worked in management in state government, so I am not surprised by things in large organizations that look like they belong in "Dilbert".

As they, say, "It could have been worse....it could have happened to me!!" ;) ;) ;)