PDA

View Full Version : Frantz

dsltrkdrvr
01-20-2001, 21:09
Anyone here have long term use with a Frantz oil filter? Looks like they have some pretty good claims for engine longevity. I am interested but don't want to end up with snake oil that may harm my engine.

------------------
2000 PSD, Supercab, 6 sp

ralphrah
01-25-2001, 07:38
Many years ago I used a Frantz oil filter system on a gasoline rig. I would assume the results would be the same with diesels.

It's strange to me that someone asked this question because I had been wondering if they were still available.

In their write up there were many things about the state of the engine that you could tell be looking at the filter media (toilet paper). As I recall carbon specks would indicate spark time was not set correctly etc.

It didn't reduce oil consumption but it kept the oil clean.

It seemed to work the best with the cheapest paper best. Maybe it was because the cheap stuff wasn't soft.

If I were to install one I would mount it in a convenient place with the most space possible below the filter. There was no way I could remove it with out getting oil all over everything.

All of that said I think I would stick with a really good spin on filter, synthetic oil, and analysis.

If I were using my truck for business it probably would be worth the effort.

Hope this is what you were looking for.