PDA

View Full Version : Same truck different Standard Vehicle Price???

Linda
04-28-2003, 16:04
Hi Again,

Do you know why the same truck with the same options may have a different standard vehicle price (base price)? I've definitely seen this from dealer to dealer but Saturday I saw it within the same dealership. There was a $520 difference in price on the identical truck.

Does this mean they were mfg'd at different times?

Also, carsdirect.com says the target price for the same vehicle (List price of $48060 is $39,802). That's $7738 off the sticker price and then I read their site to say zero percent financing is available.

Has anyone gotten a price like this?

One dealer came down $4500 off their $47540 sticker price then wanted to give me $8000 for my '93 (perfect condition, low miles). I think I figured they were actually giving me about $2000.

Any way, if you can clear up the SVP, that would be great. The dealer couldn't. Thanks.

Linda

mdrag
04-28-2003, 16:10
Topic transferred to the General Diesel Forum

mdrag

Diesel Dragon
04-28-2003, 20:26
Hi Linda

I think the reason you might be seeing diffrent prices for the same truck is because GM likes to raise prices every once in a while. So you may see an older built truck (with old prices) sitting next to one that just came off the line (with new prices). I know the base price and some of the option prices went up along with destination prices.

Also the diffrence between the prices you gave was $8,258 not $7,738.
I just bought my 03 Chevy 3500 last month, the list price was $45,480 and I paid $39,000 for it plus the $3,000 in rebates for a total of $36,000 plus tax and reg.

Hope this helps in your quest for a new truck.
And if you can't deal with your local stealer then check on Chevy's or GMC's web site and build one your self and then you can have the web site check other local dealers stock for a matching truck. That's what I did and I found what I was looking for about 45 miles away.

Bye Diesel Dragon :cool:

FisHn2DMax
04-28-2003, 21:03
Linda,

I bought my 03 back in October. I'm now helping my brother buy a new 03 just like mine, and I'm seeing the same pricing variances. I've found three reasons for the price change and one or more of these factors may be what you're seeing.

1, GM has a Standard advertising fee it charges all customers, then depending on the area/ market in which you buy your truck, the dealer hit's you with an additonal local advertising fee of anywhere from .5% to 2% of Invoice. Dealers sometimes swap or trade inventory and the window MSRP stickers are usually printed up for the original dealer that ordered the truck. I found if you get out of the bigger TV markets/ cities, the advertising fee drops down to as low as .25% if you buy from a big market dealer, the fee can jump up to 2% as I found in Phoenix, Az.

2, Yes, GM did throw in a slight base price increase around the end of the year 2002, so depending on the MFG date, you could see a slight variance in 03 pricing for same truck configurations.

3, Standard Delivery Transport fee of all NEW vehicles went up at the first of the year. My truck was $735 and change, the 2003 delivered trucks went up to $815 and change?

I'm finding many dealers are claiming they'll sell DuraMax trucks at $200-$300 over actual invoice, however, I also found they're jacking up the advertising fee on the invoice to compensate. You should'nt pay more than 1% total in local and national advertising fees!!! Have the dealer show you the actual GM generated dealer invoice. You'll notice it will show the "ADV" advertising fee and dealer hold back numbers "HB". When you see the $1500 + the dealer will still receive on the hold back, don't let them tell you that they can't give you the truck for $300 or less over invoice! If the dealer/stealer won't show the actual dealer invoice, RUN, (don't walk)from that dealer!

Good Luck
smile.gif

[ 04-29-2003: Message edited by: FisHn2DMax ]</p>

Very Old Dog
04-29-2003, 14:22
I just recently purchased a new 2500HD Duramax/Allison last week. I had a choice between two trucks one green and one carmine red and both identically equipped feature for feature and option for options. The green truck was $250 more than the red truck. The difference was one week in the manufacture date between the end of February and the first week in March. Considering high fuel prices and advertising chargebacks to the dealers for national advertising, I would suspect that is the cost of the increase. I chose the red one in stead of paying the $250 more for the same truck.

mdapperdan
04-29-2003, 19:25
Linda,
If your looking to purchase a new truck? You might try a dealer in Kellogg Id. They will sell you a truck for $100.00 over cost.

Very Old Dog
04-30-2003, 08:29
Linda,

Go into your dealer and tell them that you will only pay dealer invoice price. If you are doing cash, then you will get the $3000 rebate as well to lower the price below dealer invoice. Some comments have been made that if you are a GM customer there is also another financial incentive. Dealers receive from the manufacturer what they refer to as the "hold back" this can be as much as $1200 to the dealership. So if you are buying at invoice, they still are making plenty of money. And they may have other volume incentives as well. Hope that this will help with the negotiating.

Minn-kota
05-01-2003, 18:48
Before I bought my truck a few weeks ago, I noted the MSRP and went home to try to "build-it" on kbb.com but the price wasn't working out. Figured it out and it was due to the price increases that occurred throughout the year. My '03 truck was built in July 02 so it was actually about $700 cheaper than a newer built '03 model. So I guess I saved that much money on the same year truck. It just sat on the lot longer. Not sure why since it's a loaded LS.