PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel vibration

ZL-1
11-08-2004, 06:03
While driving around 43 to 45 mph, I feel a vibration going down the road, sometimes while acceleration, and more prevalent when I am slowing down. Is this the same topic as the title, or is the the topic as the driveshaft topic. I have the 2-piece shaft, on my 02 crew cab long bed. Do they make a 1-piece shaft for this truck? My warranty will be running out soon, and I want to try to get everything corrected before it runs out. Thanks for all the help with my questions.

More Power
11-19-2004, 11:00
The CC 4x4 longbox doesn't qualify for the single-piece rear driveshaft factory retro. Only the CC 4x4 shortbox or extended cab 4x4 long box do. It's a wheelbase/shaft length thing.

Your vibration does sound like a U-joint. Should be easy enough to determine. Set the parking brake, leave the trans in neutral, then slide under and wiggle all the joints.

Launch shudder was the reason for the installation of the one-piece rear driveline in the above mentioned trucks. Shudder was caused by angularity changes between the pinion u-joint and the u-joint just aft of the carrier bearing when accelerating away from a stop. The pinion on the rear axle rotates upward when under power. Ideally, both the pinion u-joint and the next u-joint up the driveline should be operating at the same angle to produce the smoothest operation.

MP

ZL-1
11-22-2004, 11:10
Thanks for the reply More Power. I was looking into the 1-piece rear driveshaft, Chevrolet dealer parts man in No. Kentucky told me they did not make a 1-piece shaft, but I like your reply about the universal. Will have to check it out like you said. Thanks again.