PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case leaking !!!!!!!!

William Lee Gingerich
11-19-2004, 12:37
The transfer case started leaking at 65k. Could not figure out where it was leaking from.It was leaking about half a quart every 2 1/2 hours of road time , had to crawl under and add fluid three times before we got home. Took it to the stealer and it has A PINHOLE WORE IN THE BACK HALF OF THE CASE!! The dealer told me there is a brass bushing that holds a shaft and it wore enough to let the shaft wear a PINHOLE in the case!! What kind of a design defect is this??? Has anyone else experienced this??? Can I expect this to happen every 65k??? Plus he said it will cost $850 plus tax to replace the back half of the case. OUCH!

DA BIG ONE
11-19-2004, 17:22
Originally posted by William Lee Gingerich:
The transfer case started leaking at 65k. Could not figure out where it was leaking from.It was leaking about half a quart every 2 1/2 hours of road time , had to crawl under and add fluid three times before we got home. Took it to the stealer and it has A PINHOLE WORE IN THE BACK HALF OF THE CASE!! The dealer told me there is a brass bushing that holds a shaft and it wore enough to let the shaft wear a PINHOLE in the case!! What kind of a design defect is this??? Has anyone else experienced this??? Can I expect this to happen every 65k??? Plus he said it will cost $850 plus tax to replace the back half of the case. OUCH! Seems very common w/NP246!

If I were you, I would look at a new one from:
http://www.transfercases.com/

William Lee Gingerich
11-22-2004, 11:21
I think I have the NP 263 unless Im wrong.