PDA

View Full Version : Allison Filter

Lone Eagle
03-25-2002, 17:55
Is there a mail order place that sells the Allison spin on filter? My local dealer said he would sell me one at his cost. ( $27.50 ) It was an allison filter in a Delco box. The nearest Allison dealer to me is near a 90 miles. Later! Lone Eagle

TLA
03-25-2002, 18:11
I'm in the same boat - got 2 from Stevenson & Stevenson (Allison dealer - they have branches all over the west). Had them shipped by "brown". Try big truck dealers as well. What you save will easily pay the shipping.

mdrag
03-25-2002, 19:20
Lone Eagle,

I stopped in a Stewart & Stevenson Allison dealer in TX and bought a few spin on filters. This business is over 60 miles away and is the closest Allison dealer for me. I asked if they would ship parts - they were happy to set up an account and now ship me whatever I need. I ordered the deep pan and internal filter - shipped to my door for $9.00 S/H and no sales tax since I'm in OK.

I'd call around and see what you can arrange, or just plan to make the drive once, buy a few items, and see if they'll ship to you in the future. I also had all the correct part numbers (thanks to this forum) for what I needed, and the parts guy seemed to like that...

[ 03-25-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

Lone Eagle
03-25-2002, 21:17
Thanks guys. I think I will make the drive to the big city. ( Salt Lake ) There is a camping world store there also. It is almost that time here in the Rockies. Later! Lone Eagle :D

N.E. TMRPR
03-25-2002, 22:24
I can't understand why there's such a difference in dealer prices. I got my trans filter for 8.49 my oil filter for 9.45 {black Izuzu,not Delco}, 22.65 for air filter and 36.00 for fuel filter. I know after market prices are cheaper but these are my dealers prices. They even offered me 02 visors to replace my 01's for their cost of 45.00 apiece. My dealer is Robertson's GMC in Wareham, MA and from what I've seen on this site they're pricing seems pretty good.

stillracing
03-25-2002, 23:09
When I had the dealer replace my allision filter they told me that 4 Qts. of trans fluid came out. Did I get soaked or what?

mdrag
03-25-2002, 23:30
N.E. TMRPR,

Sounds like you are fortunate to have a good dealership to work with. I had to pay $18+tax for ONE replacement AC2232 erl filter... I was afraid to price the fuel filter...

stillracing,

I've replaced the Allison spin on filter twice so far, and at most used 8-10 oz of ATF to pre-fill the spin on before installing the new one. A very small amount drips from the filter area when the filter is off. Maybe they changed the spin on with the truck engine running - then I would imagine a much larger fluid loss.. :D ;)

I could see charging for ONE quart of fluid, but there is absolutely no way that 4 quarts would be needed - unless you were really low to begin with OR they overfilled...I would recommend checking the Allison fluid level exactly as outlined in the Diesel Supplement to make sure it is correct.

ON EDIT: Should be AC Delco PF2232 filter.

[ 03-25-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

mdrag
03-25-2002, 23:36
stillracing,

I replied to your post assuming spin on filter only replacement without draining the pan. If they drained the pan + spin on filter change, then approx. 7.4 qts ATF would be needed to bring the Allison to the correct level.

windjammer
03-26-2002, 11:35
I bought my allison filter from Stewart Stevenson for $8.87 ea. They priced the TranSyd fluid at $28.00 per gal. They also said they were interested in selling me oil, fuel and air filters if I will give them the part#.

oil......pf2232
fuel.....??????
air......??????

Do you know the part #?
thanks,

Lone Eagle
04-01-2002, 22:00
Made the 70 mile trip to Smith Detroit Diesel-Allison in Salt Lake City. Bought two Allison spin-on filters for for $7.50 each plus tax. The parts man said he would ship them to me next time if I used a credit card. Maybe the rest of the dealers will also. Later! Lone Eagle :D

SGJ
04-02-2002, 19:54
I do not understand why ther is such a difference in prices on these filters . In Ontario , list price on the Allison filter from GM is $ 30.35 . This is $ 18.35 U.S. My dealer sells me them for the same price they sell to garage's , $23.37 or $14.33 U.S. For this kind of money I don't even bother looking for off brand filters .
Still Racing ,
Next time you have work done at that Dealership I would inform them about their previous mistake , ask them politely to fix the error and insist that the magnet is checked to see if it was re-installed . If they soaked you for the oil , they may have swiped your magnet . I know for a fact quite a few magnets have been thrown away at dealerships because they don't know , or forget they are there. :D

DSLPOWR
04-02-2002, 20:29
Looks like dealer charge what they want to on this issue, must be a profit percent they try to acieve off each individual product. At my discounted price at the dealer I have paid two different prices for the spin on filter, the first was $12~ and the one I purchased last week was $9~.

DmaxMaverick
04-02-2002, 21:05
gmpartsdirect.com sells the filters for around $8.50. The ideal place to get them is from an Allison dealer. I get them there for less than $8.

It's your money, but you don't have to pay what the dealer asks. There is only one brand of filter for the tranny that I am aware of, and it has the Allison brand on it. There is no "off brand" or aftermarket, yet. I get the filters for about $8 US. My dealer wants $16. You shouldn't have to pay twice the amount of money for the same, exact product, be it filters or any thing else. Somebody's making a killing on these things. If you have an Allison dealer near, pay them a visit. The worse thing that will happen is that you will save money.

Lone Eagle
04-03-2002, 10:20
My dealer parts man is a square shooter and hates the rip off on the DMAX prices. He told me his cost is $27.50. IMHO if you are getting them for less, the dealer is buying them from Allison and marking them up. Latr! Lone Eagle