PDA

View Full Version : Good Allison advice

Mudflap
10-13-2002, 05:58
The Allison website has added a FAQ column for owners of pickup trucks with Allison Transmissions. Good stuff from the Horse's mouth (Chevy/GMC offers the other end), check it out.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/

Dan :D

hoot
10-13-2002, 06:30
Thanks Mudflap. There's lot's of great info there.

Here's the full URL.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/faq/#93

The one thing they addressed that is confusing is extended warranty.

First they say...

"Please consult your GM dealer regarding extended warranty packages that may be available under the GM Protection Plan."

Then they go on and talk about the Allison Transmission ETC (Extended Transmission Warranty)which isn't available to us.

JustWondering
10-13-2002, 09:49
Hoot,

Was looking at your pictures of when you changed the Allison's fluid. What what were the (metal?) flakes on the filter screen? Would that be a reason to be concerned?
JustWondering....

hoot
10-13-2002, 13:19
JustWondering,

Your name implies every post will be a question. I like it.

Yep, there's lot's of small metal flakes that I believe are still from the manufacturing process.

Note that this is the second time I've had the pan down. Last time was 10,000 miles so even after 10,000, there's still stuff coming loose inside the tranny. I looked very closely at the particles. They look like pieces of casting flash and machining "swarf". Very small but nonetheless, present. I'm glad I changed it. That doesn't count the stuff we can't see.

The screen has an interesting design. It's got plastic ribs in it that tend to trap everything inside.

There was a fellow that recommended changing the spin on filter often. I think that's a good idea. I also think it's a good idea to change the fluid more often than not and the screen at each change, not just at rebuild time. I don't like knowing there's little metal particles floating around in the sump screen.

[ 10-14-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>