PDA

View Full Version : Fog Light Installation

volcano4x4
03-26-2002, 02:11
Am interested in putting fog lights on my 2001 GMC 3500. Did not order that way, but found oem lights for $106.00. Includes connectors, relay, etc. Stated that "Body Control Modular" had to be reprogrammed. Any idea how or why if the wiring is aready there waiting to plug in ?????

JF
03-26-2002, 05:13
I did it on mine. Although wiring harness came with lights, I found that my truck was pre-wired. Mounted fog lights and plugged them in to harness leads which were wire tied to bumper supports. Installed new switch in dash (just plugs in place of other with just cargo light). Have to go to dealer to get computer programed to acknowledge lights are there :( Took all of ten minutes and $30.

cass
07-07-2002, 10:16
do all trucks come with the wiring harness already there for the fog lights? i cannot seem to find them on mine. please let me know thanks

motovet
07-07-2002, 23:49
100$ for stock fog lamps!? AA flashlights are 3$ and just as bright!!

RScott
07-08-2002, 00:01
If you have to get the dealer to program the computer so that it recognizes them then I wonder if its possible to program it so that they come on automatically with the headlights. I hate having to turn them on every time!

Silver Bullet
07-08-2002, 13:01
RScott - R&D sells a fog light controller that sets the fog lights to come on with the head lights. Or I think you can also wire to come on with the parking lights. I am using it and have had no problems. It is installed under the dash. Check out...http://www.truckautoaccessories.com/

xwing
07-08-2002, 21:36
Please, don't buy stock fog lamps. GM should be ashamed of these. Honest, they are really dim. I even replaced the stock low watt bulbs with the ?50 watt upgrade bulb you can get at parts stores...not much better at all. My 2001 Sierra 2500HD D/A has stockers and already one has the reflective mirror in back peeling/turning black, they are turning to crap.

I'm glad I got the truck with them simply because I can use the stock button to turn them on/off once I get good aftermarket fogs...and maybe another relay (like the Kennedy I have for main lights) to give the GOOD aftermarket foglights full voltage.

AKDmax
07-08-2002, 21:43
Maybe someone out there is watching this post and designing an EFFECTIVE fog light. Hope So!

motovet
07-09-2002, 00:10
I agree! I gave my stockers away. Could not consciously charge anyone for them!

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

Lyndal
07-09-2002, 14:20
So, does anybody know of some fog lights that will fit in the hole where the stockers were?

SWLA
07-09-2002, 17:58
I agree that the OEM fog lights are pretty cheap. Entirely made of plastic. I upgraded the bulbs to 37 watts, did not want to try 50 watt bulbs as several guys have reported they melted the housing.

Pilot makes a fog light that is designed to look like the OEM. I can't tell from their website if the mounting bracket is the same. They state their lights have a metal alloy body, but they don't give much info about this specific model. Also most retailers that I find don't list this model as one they carry, so I'm unsure what they cost. Here is a link to Pilot's site:

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/pilot2bd.htm

If anyone has any experience with these lights, or Pilot in general, I'd like to know what they think.