PDA

View Full Version : Tires...Tires....

Skinny Blinky
10-14-2002, 18:16
Ok guys...Need new sneakers on the crew cab.
What's your liking for the new skins?

JimWilson
10-14-2002, 19:20
My answer is in my sig, and I love 'um... :D :D

LA DMAX
10-14-2002, 19:22
Jim, are those tires on stock wheels? Did you crank the torsion bars any? Thanks.

LA DMAX

Gil
10-14-2002, 20:04
Is there any way for the dealer to adjust your speedometer for different tire sizes?

Paintdude
10-14-2002, 20:21
http://www.allisontransmission.com/

Q. Speedometer / Tires - Can my speedo be re-calibrated after I install larger tires?
A. Speedometer calibrations are only available for tire sizes offered as original equipment. Please consult your GM dealer about correcting speedometer output when tire size is changed.
NOTE: Changing the calibration to correct speedometer readout does not change the TCM calibration, and thus it does not compensate for the adverse impact on transmission operation.

Q. Speedometer / Tires - What effects will big tires have on transmission operation?
A. The TCM calibration is based on factory tire size and rear axle ratio. Changing either of these parameters will have some adverse impact on transmission operation, including features like grade braking and shift stabilization. For instance, we have noted that when P285 tires are installed that the transmission generally does not shift to 5th range when towing heavy loads.

mtomac
10-14-2002, 21:01
I'm looking at either a set of 265x75R16 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO's or a set of 265x75R16E Nitto's for my truck. I haven't found too many people using the Nitto's yet, but they are a relatively new tire. I like the sidewalls, treadpattern and you can get them in a load range E (10ply) which isn't available in the BFG's.

Steve Joneli
10-15-2002, 08:00
I just put a set of TOYO "Open Countrys" on my truck. Love them. Real smooth on the highway but not the tread for a 4X4.

racerfan#3
10-15-2002, 18:13
I just got the NITTO's and I think they are a really good tires. I always put the BFG A/T but went with the new tire and I would reccommend them to anyone. :cool:

Kennedy
10-15-2002, 19:30
I always liked Firestone Steeltex AT's, but I LOVE my Michelin LTX MT's (on road that is) and have never experienced such a nice, smooth ride...

JimWilson
10-16-2002, 15:25
LA DMAX;

Yup, stock rims and cranked tbars (DS about 6.5 turns and the PS about 1.5 turns, although my truck was listing really bad from the factory so that's why the DS was cranked so hard).

I've got about 5K-6K on the Nittos and still think they're great. They certain ride and handle better then a tire that big should be able to. And even thought the tread pattern is pretty aggressive they don't make much noise at all. Highly recommended.