PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle seal

LarryM
10-17-2002, 10:54
Chevy replaced the left real axle seal at 25,000 miles. Now at 50,000 miles, it's out again. I'm trying to get the dealer to replace it witout charging me. We are discussing it....

Anyone else have a history of multiple seal replacements?

Ram
10-18-2002, 13:04
Nope, just only 1, left rear at 9500 miles.

LarryM
10-18-2002, 13:58
Surprise, surprise!

Just got back from the dealer. They replaced the seal at no charge to me. No hassle, no argument, they just wanted to verify that it was indeed bad before they would commit.

Still, I'm not happy about having the same seal go bad twice in 50,000 miles. I'd guess I'll be putting in another one in about 25, 000 miles.

mackin
10-18-2002, 15:51
LarryM

Every Chevy I've owned have leaked including this one....Have you seen my pics????i mean it was hemorrhaging...The rear caliper was laden with grape juice.....I posted about it and MDRAG chimed in and said he was informed that a rear seal on these trucks will WEEP !!!!!! Well, I have kept an eye on my differential fluid and I haven't lost much.....I believe it was balling for a while and now it is just crying and weeping but a little if any now..I'll be pulling them rears off in a month so a closer inspection will be in order.....

MAC

2nd and 3rd PIC down.....One is balling and one is weeping.....
=>http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=848611&uid=412377

[ 10-18-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

oneton
10-18-2002, 16:51
Dang, I posted about my leaky left side and no one responded so I just thought it was my truck. I had the wheels off for the first time today to take a look. It looks like it's not coming from the axle seal itself but in between the rotor and the shaft. Is that Possible? It wasn't dripping wet but noticable.

TLA
10-18-2002, 17:40
Everyone should check the vent hose and its routing. It goes clear up to near the fuel filler. I had a suburban that had the vent hose crimped inside a bracket, and the expansion of the lube while pulling the passes in Colorado forced enough lube out to trash the rear end. So, check it out - can cause weeping of the seals.