PDA

View Full Version : Allison Deep Pan help...Quick!!

kanton1
10-17-2002, 12:20
For you guys that have installed the deep pan. How much bigger is the "deep" filter. The one I have is only about 1/4" longer than the stock. I know I have the right part number, I have double checked it several times. I am right in the middle of the change and just want to make sure I have the right filter!!!

Thanks in advance
kyle :confused: :confused:

77TransAm
10-17-2002, 14:33
The two filters are VERY close in height - probably 1/2" or less, but hoot is right about the configuration. The bottom of the deep pan is parallel to the pan/case splitline while the shallow pan slopes toward the splitline at the back. The neck angle is the biggest difference between the two filters.

BTW, you should have a 29537966 filter and it should be white in color.

kanton1
10-17-2002, 14:48
Fellas,

Thanks for your quick responses and info. The two filters were about 1/4" difference in height, but the angle of the tube was quite different. The older filter was flat when installed, the new one sloped down at quite an angle towards the back of the pan.

I did have the correct filter, as I figured all along. It was a cream, off white color. Both filters also looked completely different from Hoot's pictures though?! Was this because of the new part numbers? A redesign?

Anyway all is good so far, just need to go for a drive and recheck fluid level :D

Thanks again for the help smile.gif smile.gif

kyle

77TransAm
10-18-2002, 12:58
The older filters (what you'd find in a 'veteran' truck like hoot's smile.gif ) were just a screen. The newer ones are actual paper media filters with a plastic top and a metal bottom. The older ones were black all over, while the newer ones are black on top for shallow sump or white on top for deep sump.

hoot
10-18-2002, 13:20
New filter design? Looks like they want to be sure to trap everything they can instead of just having it float around against the screen.

I like the fact that there are noticable improvements being made as we go.

I rinsed out my old onelast week when I did the change, not knowing there was a new design. It's no biggy rinsing a screen filter. You can pretty much tell if everything is out. I should have put the new one in but I didn't think to buy one.

Now..... conscience kicks in....

I could pick up the newer one and carefully drain the pan into a super clean catch pan........

mackin
10-18-2002, 15:37
Hoot

You must of done yours a while ago ...Even I got the new one.....
OLD=>http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=782746&uid=412377
NEW=>http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=782746&uid=412377

Sorry for rubbing it in.... :(

MAC

hoot
10-18-2002, 21:11
mackin,

I first did mine on 9-01-01. When did you do yours?

sonofagun
10-19-2002, 07:57
HOOT, HOOT, HOOT, HOOT..............

Go for it guy! Nice new filter, clean pan? YEA! tongue.gif ;)

mackin
10-19-2002, 11:36
Hoot

Spring of this year I believe......I want to say May'ish......

MAC

hoot
10-19-2002, 13:07
son of a gun,

But I just did the fluid/flush and spin on last week. I only rinsed the suction filter cause it's just a screen.

I'll get it next time around.

mackin,

sorry to hear about your headlight harness troubles. Do yourself a favor and throw away your pride and get the KD harness. It plugs right into all the headlight connectors with one BIG red power line going directly to the alternator. That's the key. The harness must weigh a couple of pounds. All big wire, all expensive components.

mackin
10-19-2002, 16:28
Hoot

I'm sure the KD harness is all that it is supposed to be, but all I'm trying to do is get the "stock lamps" , all four, to come on at once.....JK's harness has been designed around obtaining higher volts to run higher wattage lamps and four lamps on with high beam selected....For this it beckons a worthy dollar.....What I have is but a piece of the equasion....I'll give it one more shot if I don't succeed then a toss in the worthless bucket.....But thanks for the advice as always.....

MAC