PDA

View Full Version : cabin filter

dave p
10-18-2002, 19:54
i had the dealer change the oil and asked them to check the cabin filter and they said it did not have one. are they right? its a 2001 2500 hd 8.1 5 speed allison 4x4 with L.T. trim dave p :confused:

Burner
10-18-2002, 20:23
---------

Yes

Look under the passenger side of the dash. Ask others and do a search for pics. ;)

Burner

JEBar
10-19-2002, 20:02
just a tip from a not to pleseant experience, if you do have one and your unit is covered with a plastic housing that runs from wall to wall, it will be held in place by 3 screws, strongly recommend you loosen, do not remove the left (nearest to the center of the vehicle), took mine out and have never been able to get it back in ........ Jim

chuntag95
10-19-2002, 21:03
JEBar, I'm with you. That same darn screw took 80% of the time to change those 2 filter. Just about gave up, but was afaid it would rattle me into the funny farm. Just as a side note, the stealer told me that there was only one filter under there :rolleyes: so for that 40 bucks I would have 2 changes. Shows what they know. I guess they never read their own manuals.

mackin
10-20-2002, 06:59
The stealer would figure it out I would hope when they open the box and find two filters ....... CF 104-AC 52485513....All right maybe....

MAC

[ 10-20-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Burner
10-20-2002, 13:23
Guess what tongue.gif Napa has figured it out! They take the "two" filters and repackage them into "two" boxes. :mad: :mad: The nerve ! :mad:

I guess it just burns me.. tongue.gif

Burner

letsgo
10-20-2002, 17:48
In my $10 operators manual it states that if you do not have air conditioning there isnt a filter.

I had the same problem with that 3rd screw, it is now a spare part.

Red Diesel
10-25-2002, 09:03
If you don't have A/C then you don't have the filters. The owners manual does not show the big black covering that must be removed first. This cover is on all LS and LT models but not on base I think. After the cover is removed, there is an L-shaped bracket with a screw towards the firewall that must be removed. When you remove the bracket you might want to have a cover over you floor because alot of trash and leaves are sure to fall. There are two filters in there side-by-side. I bought the filters from a dealership and they both come in one box. The screws on the cover are difficult on the hump side.

ryeguy
10-25-2002, 10:31
Hm. I'm gonna have to double-check. I only recall there being one filter in my truck.

Of note, I didn't want to spend the dealer amt for the filters, so I put in an off-brand. After me getting headaches and my buddy feeling nausiated, I took out that single filter and put in a single GM filter (in the box of 2). I'm sticking with the GM stuff for this.

Also of note, no problems with that 3rd screw. When putting that plastic housing back on, I just started with that one, then put in the other 2 that were easy to get at. Piece of cake.

--Rob

hickcox
10-25-2002, 12:53
Ryeguy,
There really are two filters in there you have to reach way back towards the engine compartment to retrieve the second filter.
I didn't have any problems with the screws either.

ryeguy
10-29-2002, 16:08
Found the other filter (forward of the one that falls out). Trez dirty. Glad it's changed now. Thanks!

--Rob

hdmax(mike)
10-29-2002, 16:44
Any of you that has changed the AC filters have the big floor console? And if so, is it in the way?

I have 8600 miles on ole Betsy now, and I figure it is about time to clean or change them.

I read on here a few weeks or months ago about cleaning them. Are any of you doing this instead of forking out the bucks for new filters?

JF
12-27-2002, 17:06
Replaced cabin air filters today. Had ordered from dealer who said there were two filters, one being charcoal. When I removed them, they were both identical (non-charcoal) filters with same part number. :confused:

As the filters came two in a box, I used both plain filters. Should I have installed one charcoal filter? Has anyone found a charcoal filter in their truck? If so, in which position was it?

ccds
12-27-2002, 18:02
here is a couple of links about cabin filters:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000571

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003727

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=002527&p=

you should be able to get enough info from these links.

hope this helps

smile.gif

ccds
12-27-2002, 18:05
if you go to this link it give you pictures from Mackin's album...thank him for the pic's:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=632579&uid=412377

smile.gif

JF
12-28-2002, 05:40
Checked out all the links to various posts. None of them mentioned a charcooal filter. Both of my trucks filters were the same. Did anyone find anything different?