PDA

View Full Version : Allison needs fluid,I need help?

JEBar
10-19-2002, 16:53
I'm getting ready for the 25,000 mile Allison trans fluid change...I appear to be in a small minority in that since I will be changing the fluid so often, I can't see spending all that money on synthetic .... I do NOT plan to drop the pan .... haven't been able to find how many quarts of Dextron III I need to add when I simply drain the fluid and change the spin-on filter ... don't want to take a chance on over filling so any info would be appreciated .... Jim :confused:

mackin
10-19-2002, 17:25
Jim

From anouther post......
If your just draining=>STOCK SHALLOW PAN CAPACITY 7.4 QTS (ALL YOU CAN DRAIN)

If your flushing it will be=>TOTAL CAPACITY (DRY SYSTEM) W/SHALLOW STOCK PAN 12.7 QTS

It would be best to hold back a little on the refill and run through all gears idling pausing at each gear shift change and back to park pausing as above.....Recheck....This worked well for me each time I did it to get an accurate refill......Good luck.....

MAC :D

[ 10-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Paintdude
10-19-2002, 17:25
Jim, save what you drain out and measure it..Put the same amount back in the trans..

Good Luck.. smile.gif

letsgo
10-19-2002, 17:28
I just changed the trany filter and trany oil and the transfer case oil. I bought 3 US. gallons of transydyne, I only drained the oil pan in the trany. dont forget to clean the magnet in the old oil filter. No magnet in the transfer case.
7.25 qts for the trany.
2.00 qts for the transfer case.

JEBar
10-19-2002, 19:54
thanks for the info .... really do appreciate it ... Jim