PDA

View Full Version : Dooley or not

MAYBELLINE
10-20-2002, 13:25
I'm looking at pulling a 12,000# fiver in retirement. The 2500 will handle the load but is there any advantage to stepping up to a dooley?

gardnerteam
10-20-2002, 13:43
Dooley's make great tow vehicles on highway. They will carry more load weight in the bed, more 5th wheel tongue weight, and possible a little more straight pull tongue weight. They will outhandle a single rear wheel truck on extemely curvy mountain roads where the driver has a size 24 shoe and has cut off the brake pedal. Having owned several dooleys, all with excessive power pulling excessive loads (29,950 total), I would prefer a dooley if I only towed and never left the pavement. BUT, if you ever drive on black ice, drive through deep snow off road, or drive single wheel rutted roads or desert tracks, a dooley is worthless. They are extremely dangerous on black ice, even with studs (too much tire surface). Off road in mud, wet grass, or sand, they also fair poorly. One final thought, you buy more tires and in the pre-2000 models, you got a rougher ride. I have no experience with the latest dooley ride. If you don't need the dooley, stay with a 2500 HD. It is far more versatile, expecially if a 4X4. Just my 2 bits worth.

chevmeister
10-20-2002, 14:03
The biggest advantage is how much the trailer will drive the truck. With a Dooley the truck is more stable but like gardnerteam said they suck when there empty. If you plan to run it in bad weather empty go with a 4 wheeler. But if your going to tow more than not, go with the dooley. BTW The dooleys also look cooler and have more lights!! :D

MAYBELLINE
10-20-2002, 15:32
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I would be better off with the 3/4 ton.

FirstDiesel
10-20-2002, 15:52
This is my first real truck to tow with. Before I towed small trailers with a Suburban. We use the dually as a family around town vehicle too. I would not tow a 12k trailer without the truck being a dually. JMHO

Stage 1
10-20-2002, 17:26
For towing heavy trailers w/a large side area (sail area), the dually can make a significant difference. I agree with previous statement that 12000 lbs is a lot of weight and can push the tow vehicle around. The conditions under which you drive will greatly effect yout towing experiance. For example when a semi passes you, along with strong side winds can significantly effect towing stability! Personally the dually is the only way for me to tow a heavy load in mountains, and interstate roads w/ large trucks.

Another factor is the length of the tow vehicle wheel base. Longer makes the tow vehicle more stable e.g. crew cab and long bed helps.

If you are married and plan to travel w/your wife she may greatly appreciate the duallies stability.

For me their is a big difference, in town I park where I can and walk to where I need to go.
Good luck in your decision.

FirstDiesel
10-20-2002, 17:47
Good points Stage 1

I can't even imagine towing my rig with a 2500. As for the parking etc. We park at the far end of the Wally World lot and walk. 2 bonuses. Extra exercise and no door dings. The only thing the dually has prevented me from doing is taking it into downtown. The streets are just way too small and narrow. Wait that might be a bonus to owning it too. smile.gif

chevmeister
10-20-2002, 19:11
Any of you with the Dooley's had them through the winter. Wonderin how bad they handle on the ice and snow. Havent had mine that long. Last truck was a 1500 that weighed 6000 with me in it. My dooley weigs a little more but has alot more tire.(7400 with me in it) Should I load it up for winter?? Im adding a slide system rolling toolbox so ill have that 700 or so hanging near the gate most of the time.

jbplock
10-20-2002, 19:30
I never had any trouble with my 98 K3500 4wd Dually in the upstate NY winters as long as there was some weight over the rear wheels. I used about 400lbs of sand in the tube bags. Bought them at Lowes. The ABS brakes also came in handy a few times on the ice. Duallies are definitely more stable on turns. I can tell the difference already running empty with my new 2500HD. The 2500HD tends to roll a little on the turns. The dually didn’t.

JEBar
10-21-2002, 04:03
serious off road driving, especially involving snow or mud is a challange to any vehicle, in my experience, the only area where a dually is seriously handicapped....as with most trucks, having the front tires pulling can help counter act rear end weakness .... have found I must go slow (probably a good ideal in any case) with a dually in slick (nonpowder) snow .... on ice, having a dually gives you two more tires to spin :eek: .... still find that most vehicles are capable of taking drivers more places than the drivers are capable of taking them.... Jim

mackin
10-21-2002, 04:25
I've been driving a dually for quite a few winters....Mostly 6.5's...So this may be a little different this year as last year we hardly had snow.....These trucks are torque monsters but with my 6.5 with a limited slip rear hardly needed 4x4....Used it most to keep the front end from wandering on snow covered roads.....They will go as well or "BETTER"then it's counter part as we all ready have more weight out back to get the tires down onto asphalt.....Good set of tires NO JUICE (That's gonna Suck) and some driving skills is all one needs.....I for one have spent many nights out flopping around in snow storms in my 93 and 98 dually's to gain skills when the roads are diserted....So I'll only take my pride and joy out when necessary.....As I'm not looking forward to all that salt and sand messing up my under carriage as we know mine is "SPARKLING" right JIM ????? LOL

MAC ;)

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

bigbobed
10-21-2002, 06:39
I've been told the late model 3500's ride better empty than the 2500's. Makes sense when you look at the spring package on the 3500.

MAYBELLINE
10-21-2002, 09:12
Thanks for all the responses. It now sounds like its "dooley time".

sonofagun
10-21-2002, 15:05
MAYBELLINE,

There are two good answers to your question. The bottom line is a dooley is better if you tow a lot. It is probably better if you tow a heavy long 5th wheel (side winds). I drive a 2500HD because I bot it when I had a 28' travel trailer. I recently bot a 31' 5th wheel that has a GVW of 12000#. Loaded out if weighs 11300# (I was careful). I just got back from a trip to Utah. Had the usual winds,6 - 8% grades, big rigs and even a bit of snow. I do use a aerowing on the truck and it seems to help with the head winds. I have a Reese 16000# slider hitch and Firestone airbags on the rear axle. The kingpin weighs 2300#. This was my big concern. the airbags brought the truck up level (after about a 3" drop). The truck performed without flaw. The winds were no more a problem than with my 28' travel trailer. The trucks were less a problem than with my travel trailer.(where I used TWO sway cotrols on my equalizing hitch). When I got there I was able to a lot of offroading and driving through small Utah mountain towns with no parking or clearance problems. If I towed any fifth wheel a lot, could manuever a bigger truck where I want to go and could park it easily in my garage I would buy a dooley next time. As it is this works just fine for me and might for you to.

Regards and good luck,
Bob

JEBar
10-21-2002, 17:41
Mack ... "SPARKLING" right JIM ====&gt; :eek: AMEN brother, I'd have to wear sun glasses on a cloudy day to change the oil on your rig .... with mine, I need a miner's helment, complete with head lamp.... Jim

FstTrack
10-21-2002, 19:18
I tow 75% of the time the truck is on the road, last truck was a 3/4 ton. I love the dualls and if you ask my wife I am sure it will never be a single wheel again I drive hard and dont hear cant you slow down anymore the truck is very stable.