PDA

View Full Version : How many needed parking brake fixed?

n3qik
10-20-2002, 19:30
The company I work for have about 20 Chevy/GMC 1500 trucks. At this time 10 have needed new parking brakes pads/rotors.The pads drag inside the rotor till nothing is left. This happens between 30K-70K miles. All are trucks are max GVW, with a mix of auto and man trans. GM hase a fix but we don't think is going to work. Any one with 2500/3500 with same problems??

mackey_62
10-21-2002, 05:29
I've owned Chevy trucks '80 thru '02.
Never had a park brake problem. (Except one night....nah that was my fault :rolleyes: )
Anyway, assuming your talking all new style, 4-wheel discs, haven't heard of any problems :confused:
No problems with my '00 2500 6.0 or '02 Dmax.
Use my P-brake every day on Dmax.

retiredalaskan
10-21-2002, 07:11
I have a 2002 gmc ext cab d/a. I took a trip up to new england in aug,outside of d.c. in md. i blew out rt. rear tire i hade 12'camper on truck and boat behind. Four hours later they changed tire it was around midnite so drove down 95 to next rest area appox.[3 miles],when igot out could smell brakes, checked tire hot enough to burn your hand.called gmc theygave me dealer address in md.went in the morning it was a joke made me unload everything spun the tire it was hot said it was ok!right,Went up to boston very slowly had dealer check there found parking assy had dragged enough to get very hot they changed shoes ect. said it was ok [ not ] back again watched them take it apart drum had 3 high spots on it an shoes were dragging had them deadjust shoe clearence so i could get home dealer at home took it apart again changed rotor and shoes so far ok but scary part is it could create enough heat to blow tire so much for gm service

hoot
10-21-2002, 07:15
What shoes are you talking about??????? Disc brakes don't have shoes.

You saw shoes and a drum on a D/A truck? is this some kind of a cruel hoax?

"back again watched them take it apart drum had 3 high spots on it an shoes"

On edit:

I see you used the term rotor later on. I think you have an isolated problem or..... is it possible you left your emergency brake on???

Almost no one is reporting any brake problems, as a natter of fact, they seem to be lasting much longer than expected.

Hope your problem doesn't "resurface" ;)

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

77TransAm
10-21-2002, 07:56
hoot, the park brake is a drum-in-disc. There is a set of brake shoes that actuate against a drum that is part of the inside of the rotor. We generally get about 50,000 miles out of a set of shoes, but it does vary a bit.

hoot
10-21-2002, 08:33
Drum in disc?

Got me on that one.

I would expect parking brakes to last forever since they normally aren't used in a dynamic sense.

I gotta take a closer look at my truck. I didn't know they had shoes and a drum. Something new for me ;)

JimWilson
10-21-2002, 10:24
My parking brake doesn't always release fully, so I have to step on it and pull the lever a few times to clear it up. But maybe mine is sticking too; that would sure go a long way towards explaining my sh$tty gas mileage! ;) ;)

SoCalDMAX
10-21-2002, 10:34
Hoot,

Ya oughtta take a peek under the truck sometime, there's all kinds of cool stuff down there...LOL :D

I just couldn't help myself, cuz usually you're the one answering the obscure questions... ;) I agree with you, I'd think parking brakes should last a *really* long time unless they're dragging.

Regards, Steve

hoot
10-21-2002, 10:57
Steve,

I realize you're just poking me but I do look around alot. Especially when I service the truck. I make sure and inspect for leaks and unusual things. I guess I just never looked close at the rear brake setup. I saw the e-brake cable going to the cliper assy and assumed it just did something to just clamp the disc pads.

I haven't had to do rear brakes on one of these full floaters in my life. Last truck had originals still on it when I sold it at 80,000 miles. It was a 14-bolt with rear drums.

Now how does a truck with dual configuration rear brakes need shoes after 50,000 miles???? when the 14-bolt used the just a set of shoes for dynamic braking and e-brake?

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
10-21-2002, 11:50
Yup,

That's why I think you've got a good point, it seems they should last nearly forever.

Regards, Steve

mackin
10-21-2002, 18:19
I'm still complaining about my E-brake .

n3qik
10-21-2002, 18:37
Thats what I thought when our frist 2000 was brought. Whats happing is the shoe is really a ring with a 2 inch piece missing at the top. The missing section slips over a small set of pistions. The pistions a moved in/out by the parking brake cable. The problem is the bottom section is held in place againsted the backplate with a clip but is able to move front to back freely. This free movement alouds the pads to drag againsted the rear section the the drum when driving. GM has come out with a new clip but we installed it and don't think its going to work. 10 drivers, 10 trucks, the only thing in commond is they are 1500 type trucks. go figure !! Could the 2500/3500 trucks have differant setup ??

n3qik
10-21-2002, 18:42
mackin
The only way to adjust e-brake is to remove tire, brakes and rotor. There is no holes to do this with rotor on truck.

retiredalaskan
10-21-2002, 19:10
the interresting thing about the problem on the emergency brake is i have never used it!!I think the crappy roads up in the north east caused something in the assy.to come loose causing the shoes to drag.trouble is two dealers didn't know that there were shoes in the rotor.So much for training!!

mackin
10-21-2002, 19:40
n3qik

Thanks.....
All I know is my driveway is on a slant and I can face up hill MASH the peddle (e-brake) right to the carpet, put it in drive and it will roll......CHITY !!!!!!!

I'm Super JUICED,Hole'y air box'd with an oily couch cushion'd in place,4"Banks'd,Wastegate deprived,but come on I expect better hold !!!!!!! tongue.gif

I'll be looking into this soon as off comes the shiny wheels to steel...... :(

MAC

hoot
10-21-2002, 20:27
Mackin,

Which peddle is to the carpet????? :D

Most e-brakes work good in one direction only. I think it stinks that they release a design that doesn't work. Especially a safety device. You'd think the Fed would hammer down on that one.

Somebody is bound to make a few bucks off GM on this one.

Jelisfc
10-21-2002, 22:33
Mackin, Mico makes a line lock for trucks. You can buy a system that will lock only the rears or both front and rear. I have the P/N at work for the rear only system. I've had them before on heavy trucks w/hyd brakes. I'm seriously considering this since I ordered a 6 spd and have zero faith in the stock e-brake. The rear only system is around $200.00 plus install. I figure I can do it myself except I'll pay to have the brakes bleed right.