PDA

View Full Version : problem with transynd change

biker Wayne
10-21-2002, 11:51
I'm coming up on 1 year with my 2002 HD. Dealer hasn't changed the trans fluid in an Allison yet and doesn't know anything about it yet. I talked to an authorized Allison dealer and they said that you CANNOT mix Dexron III with transynd. They didn't have a machine to get the fluid out of the torque converter. They said they would not do the change to transynd. For those who have changed to transynd, how did you get ALL of the old fluid out of the trans, TC and all of the lines?
Thanks.

SoCalDMAX
10-21-2002, 12:01
I think the person you spoke to is mistaken. There is no way to completely flush the TC, etc. The most thorough method is to disconnect a cooler line at thh tranny and fill the tranny with Transynd and let it pump out the old fluid thru the cooler line. Even then, there is still some old fluid with the new.

We've been told several times that the Transynd is 100% compatible with the original fluid and Allison recognizes 3 different fluids: the original fluid, Transynd mixed with the old fluid and straight Transynd. It would take 2 fluid changes to approach straight Transynd, too expensive for my taste.

I switched over to Transynd just draining the pan and refilling. I'd guess I have 80-85% Transynd in there now. Runs great, stays very cool.

Regards, Steve

SoMnDMAX
10-21-2002, 12:13
Ditto to what SoCal said...

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>

hoot
10-21-2002, 12:34
Right off the Allison website......

NOTE: The following recommendations in Schedule 2 are based upon the transmission containing 100% of TranSynd

jbplock
10-22-2002, 04:36
Dumb question from a new D/A owner: Does the Allison come stock from the factory with synthetic fluid?

Black Dog
10-22-2002, 05:26
No, it does not come with synthetic.

Mudflap
10-22-2002, 15:12
Allison put a drain plug and spin-on filter there for a reason, ease of maintenance. As long as the original Dexron III has not been burned to syrup, there is no problem mixing new Dexron III or Transynd or Amsoil or Mobil 1 with the old stuff as long as the new stuff meets Dexron III requirements and Transynd definitely does.