PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Stud problems - 2500HD 4X4

gardnerteam
03-28-2002, 19:11
Just returned from a 12,000 mile trip to Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, and Honduras. Tossed the left rear wheel in Mexico at 60 mph because tire dealer did not torque the nuts when the new wheels and tires were put on it when I left the US. When towed in to Chev dealer in Puerto Vallarta, found nuts loose on the other 3 wheels and about to come off. Dealer tightened them, and I demanded they be torqued to 140 ft lbs as per the book. Wrench was properly set, and several studs broke with the 140 lb rating. Studs looked like cheap pot metal. Wondering if anyone else has had problems with studs breaking when properly torqued? US dealer has ordered new studs and says they will ask GM to test, but we all know how that goes. An additional comment would be that if you are planning to keep your truck past 36,000 miles, buy the GM warranty. The bill for my left rear wheel, caliper, caliperbody, shoes, emergency brake setup and shoes, backing plate, rotor, axle, and labor in Puerto Vallarta was right at $5,000 US. Fortunately, Mexican insurance paid all but $300 deductable. GM is right proud of their parts.

mackin
03-28-2002, 19:30
OUCH OUCH OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that, its never good. Luckily you or anyone else didn't get hurt.

Don't you think driving unknowingly with loose studs weakened them? I would tend to believe that. I have pounded new studs out then in my 1998 on the front axle before. Reason for this was for being OVER torqued by the sha-mucks at a tire shop causing stripping. They looked pretty strong in 1998 . I had to force a few back on with my 250 ft LB impact they didn't snap. Till I picked up new ones. Unless the changed them to softer material although I would doubt it,
but perhaps.
MAC

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Redhawk
03-30-2002, 12:13
I had a loose front wheel and broken stud a while back, about two weeks after having the tires rotated at the dealer. It's hard to keep track of loose wheel nuts because they are hidden behind those black plastic caps.

Allison Jettester
04-02-2002, 11:12
Gardnerteam,

Don't feel alone. I had the same thing happen to my 77 K2500 GMC in the middle of nowhere in Ontario coming off a bridge with no shoulder. I heard a noise and watched the right rear fly off and almost slid down the bank into the river. Anyway, it was caused by the lug nuts not being tightened properly and the rim chewed into the studs. They are case hardened and once you have eaten into the hard case, there is nothing but soft metal left (like the first time you sharpen a chain saw blade, it doesn't take long to dull again). They are only case hardened because fully hardened metal is very brittle and will shear easily. The soft metal in the middle has high shear strength, but little torque (or bending) strength. Together, they are pretty tough. Your remaining studs broke because the hardened case was ground into by the rim.

Hope this eases your mind,
Joe