PDA

View Full Version : High priced '03

Big O
10-22-2002, 18:21
How much did the '03 go up? Must have been $3,000-$4,000! I had my first 'close-up' look at one today on the dealers lot. A loaded LT 2500 CC 4X4 had a sticker of over $47,300. It had an 'entertainment' package that included TV that was $1200. But even without that uncommon option, it was still over $46,000. It appears that I have bought my last NEW truck. I thought $41,000 was bad last year. It looks like the auto makers HAVE NO SHAME. :eek:

56Nomad
10-22-2002, 19:21
Big O,

If anyone is interested in a new Duramax
there got to be dealers still willing to
go $100 over invoice as they did for the
2002 models. Isn't Dave Smith Motors in
Idaho still doing his $100 over invoice??

I traveled to Texas to get my dually for
$1000 over invoice (total $37,581) and
that did amount not include the rebates
available.

My brother in law also traveled to Texas
and got his D/A for $100 over the dealer
invoice.

Best to all

TxDoc
10-22-2002, 20:39
Check on the incentives, too. I got $3,000.00 off the top.

Big O
10-22-2002, 20:46
No doubt about it, there are good deals to be had, as far as discounts/incentives go. But my point is the OUTRAGEOUS sticker price--which effects final sale price. I would rather have $2000 off a reasonable price $30,000 truck, than $6000 off an overpriced $47,000 truck

TxDoc
10-22-2002, 21:01
As the unions demand more money for hourly wages, benefits and productivity does not increase accordingly...costs must increase to cover expenses or they go bankrupt.

But, I agree, the cost is hard to believe.

Jelisfc
10-23-2002, 07:45
I ordered my '03 for $200.00 over invoice. The price for mine didn't really go up, CC Dmax/ZF. Where they get you this year is the LT automatically has the Bose, otherwise an $800.00 option and other goodies. I wanted the DVD system but since that requires bucket seats and buckets require the Allison. My $1200 DVD option turned into a $4000+ option!!! I'm going aftermarket for the DVD. I also wanted leather but Generous Motors deams manual trans drivers too lowly to have leather. Yet another aftermarket addition.

c5dura
10-23-2002, 07:52
How can I find out what Invoice is on a particular model/configuration?

My dealer is trying to sell me a '03 that stickers for $48k by trading in my '02 w/ 3700 miles on it that I paid 44.5k for ($1500 less than sticker).

The '02 hit a deer and ran into the ditch and has some minor damage and my sales guy wants to put me behind the wheel of this '03 right away so I don't have to wait for the '02 to get fixed. Nice guy, huh?

01_Duramax_Dually
10-23-2002, 09:13
You know, I paid close to 40K for my 01. They did not have incentives a the time but I had $2600 bonus dollars on my GM credit card and used that. So I ended up right around $37K or so. But then add that GOD AWFUL California(specifically Santa Clara which was 8.25%) sales tax. So it went right back over 40K. When you guys speak of the price are you including Sales tax, dealer prep and destination or are you stating what the first line of the purchase price. The numbers seem to be all over the place and the distribution appears very large...$37-$47k?????

Either way prices are on the cutting edge of too much..I think the Big 3 will see a decline in the market soon as the economy continues to slump....

I have a couple of friends with new trucks 1 GMC and 1 FoMoCo and they have payments over $700+...that seems OUTRAGEOUS....that does not include insurance and registration.... :eek: ... :(

Colorado Kid
10-23-2002, 10:03
C5dura,

Go to http://kbb.com/ to find invoice pricing. There will also be an advertising fee specific to your dealer (which the dealer pays to GM...it's not going in his pocket) which of course the national information on invoices will not be able to figure. In the big cities this is sometime around 2%...generally quite a bit less out in the sticks. If yo show up with your invoice printout in your hand the dealer will usually be willing to show you his to prove to you the amount of the advertising fee.

Buckles in Ohio sells everything for $49 over invoice.

c5dura
10-23-2002, 11:17
Thanks Colo Kid, thats exactly what I was looking for! Wow, looks like invoice is $41,642.40 as opposed to $47,602.00 retail with options.

If I add 1% (I'm in the sticks), my total is $42,058.82. Add tags, taxes, etc, and I'm still below what I paid for my '02. Kewl!

C5dura

chuntag95
10-23-2002, 11:31
c5dura,

The invoice number is still more than the dealer pays. They get rebates for each vehicle and that depends on volume, bla, bla, bla. Don't let them sell you the "My kids will go without shoes, but I will do this for you." BS. Had a friend who sold new cars and he said you wouldn't believe the actual prices. He quit cause he couldn't take BSing people like that. Too honest.

Jelisfc
10-23-2002, 14:26
c5dura, invoice is 12.5% off list. I walked from my first deal. The advertising adder ended up being an extra $600.00!!!! I told them make it go away or I will. I walked and found a dealer outside the Twin Cities metro area who didn't have to pay an advertising fee. I will have to drive 40 miles one way to pick up my new one but that's OK with me.

What irks me about the advertising effort is nothing the dealer nor GM did advertising wise influenced my decision to buy. Plus the fact I had to order the truck so all those pretty color adds in the Sunday paper showing every vehicle they have on the lot that doesn't fit my needs I am not willing to pay for.

GM, sell to me at invoice no dealer involved. I can buy the vehicle over the internet and have it delivered to a prep area for pick up. Heck I closed the deal with my guy without talking to him over the phone, e-mail only. I had to call him to verify a couple things. I still haven't met him face to face. Pretty good for spending 35K on a truck.

GMC-2002-Dmax
10-23-2002, 21:05
To All,

Keep in mind that the rebate does not impact the dealers price, this is a comsumer rebate!!!!

If the dealers are selling at $49.00 over invoice and giving the rebate then you are doing pretty good. If they are selling at that price with the rebate you are getting screwed.

I just checked the deals and it seems that the offer is $2000 rebate or 0%APR and a $500 rebate.

the better deal IMHO is the 0% with $500 off.

My truck stickered for $42,800 or so and with the GMS discount was just about $37,600. $5,200 OFF Sticker + the $2002 rebate. I had othet discounts as well.

The only reason for a huge price increase is to charge us all for the ZERO % financing!!!!

Add $3000-$4000 per truck and tell everyone it's ZERO %. Pretty smart HUH!!!!! :eek:

GMC ;)

c5dura
10-24-2002, 09:09
Ouch. I should have done my homework before buying the '02. Sticker was $45.7k and with the "Southern Coach" conversion, the sticker jumped to $48.2k, so I thought I was doing good financing $44.5k over 5 years @ 2.9%. That $44.5k figure is after my downpayment of $1800 that more or less just covered tax, title, etc.

Btw, the "Southern Coach" is a rip-off. For the extra $2.5k you get:

Wheel skins (made in Taiwan no less)
Bedliner (Bodyguard drop in)
Nerf Bars (Nasta)
Mudflaps

I estimate the above items can be had for around $750 or so.

I took off the wheel skins since they looked cheesy and made noise. I also got rid of the flaps because I'm not into those although I'm sure they are good when pulling an exposed trailer.

Oh well, live and learn. Btw, they got my '02 running yesterday after installing new PS pump, serp belt and PCM. I can't figure out how I managed to fry the PCM from running the battery down. They were trying to give me $hit about my Autotap laptop to OBD-II cable they found, being responsible for killing the PCM.

It is going to the bodyshop today so I'll probably end up keeping it after all.

Heavy Duty Neil
10-24-2002, 12:45
quote from GMC-2002-Dmax:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
The only reason for a huge price increase is to charge us all for the ZERO % financing!!!!

Add $3000-$4000 per truck and tell everyone it's ZERO %. Pretty smart HUH!!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep. :mad:
I wonder how much 2004's will increase? :mad:

No more new trucks for Neil.... :(

snowmo
10-25-2002, 11:31
Make the Dealer print you out the Retail / Invoice pricing. If he won't - go elsewhere!

EXPSD
10-27-2002, 18:20
Truck for truck MSRP I see a $2407 increase for the 2003 over the my 2002.