PDA

View Full Version : 2500HD Order -- Resolution

JimWilson
05-29-2002, 08:54
Well, the saga is over. On Tuesday night I got my new truck. It's a Carmine Red 2002 2500HD CC SB.

I picked up the wife and kids (3 daughters: 10, 12 and 14) after work and headed straight for the dealer. I was keeping my fingers crossed the whole time, because the skies were as black as coal. According to the National Weather Service we were in for a storm of biblical proportions. The rain west of me, which was the direction I was heading, was falling at a mindboggling 2 inches an hour! I was hoping that I could a least have the truck looking new for 1 day. Well, as luck would have it -- my luck anyway -- that didn't happen...

We pull into the dealership. Off to the left, towards the far end of the lot, sat my truck. Naturally, we pulled right up to it. As we got out of my wifes truck I started to hear the rumble of thunder. I thought, "okay I need to check out the truck in a hurry". As we approached it the salesman came out of the building. We met at the truck, exchanged pleasantries, and then I started to look over my new rig. No sooner did I open the drivers door did the rain start. I had been able to inspect it all of 15 seconds -- and that's no exaggeration -- when the heavens opened up. And I'm not talking about mere rain, I referring to "run for cover!" kind of rain. But I was determined to inspect my new toy, so as the wife and kids ran for the dealers showroom I kept looking at the truck. Well, for about another 15 seconds anyway. All of the sudden there was a blinding flash of lightening followed by the hideous sound of something big breaking. Then, immediately after the lightening, was the biggest clap of thunder I think I've ever heard. The other sound I had heard turned out to be a light pole on the other side of the lot -- maybe 100 to 150 feet from the two of us. It had been hit by the lightening and torn apart! The salesman and I both looked at each other and basically said "screw this -- run for your life!". For the next 2+ hours the rain came down, in absolute buckets, lightening flashed all around us, and the thunder was deafening. What a storm -- the National Weather Service was right for a change, unfortunately for me. The lights inside the dealership flicker a few times, but we didn't lose power. All the while my new baby was sitting outside, getting absolutely soaked, and I didn't even get to see what it looked like all new and shiny. I was heartbroken... :(

When the rain finally slowed down to just pouring we made a mad dash for the truck. It was still raining so hard that by the time everyone piled in the door panels were soaked. This is NOT how I wanted this to be. It's 8:30 by now, and the kids are all starving, so we drive around until we find a diner. Of course, I'm not parking my new rig near anyone else so I drop the family off at the front door and then pull around to the end of the lot. There I sit, for darn near 5 minutes, waiting for the rain to stop enough so I can make it to the diner without having to swim. The rain never lets up, so I make a run for it. By the time I get to the door I'm soaked (again!), to the point where I have to go into the mens room to get some paper towels and try to dry myself off. Of course, this bathroom is the type that has no paper towels, only those stupid hot air machines. I'm beginning to wonder how much worse this night can get...

I'm thinking this must be what those storms in the Brazilian rainforests are like. The streets are all flooded -- not that 6 inches of standing water means anything to me in this truck -- but some of the spots are getting real bad. It was such a horrible strom that they closed sections of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Extension because of flooding and mudslides! I don't think that's ever happened before...

We shovel down some food and head out back into the monsoon towards home. It's now 9:30. By the time we get back to the house, unload the kids and get them to sleep it's well after 10:30. My wife and I collapse in bed, exhausted.

So now I have my new truck. Commuting at 55 miles per hour stinks, I'll certainly be glad when that parts over. The kids like the added room -- I had an extended cab before and the 2 older ones were starting to get a bit cramped back there. The headlight pattern stinks though, so I may have to do something about that. But the windshield wipers work good! ;)

For all those who have lasted through my ordeal, my long posts, and for those people who have had encouraging words I thank you. A special thanks go to the forum members who took there personal time to try and find me a comparable truck. It's nice to know you're all out there. And last, but certainly not least, I'd like to thank Brown-Daub Chevrolet, and salesman Bob Swick, for all they did. Throughout this ordeal he was really great. If you need a Chevy, Olds or Volvo in the Allentown PA area go see him. Highly recommended. Now, where's my keys -- I want to go for a drive! :D

AlaskaDmax
05-29-2002, 10:23
You know, with lightening hitting so close and all the other "bad" stuff...I would have been questioning whether you were meant to have this truck!!! :D :D :D

mackin
05-29-2002, 14:25
JimWilson,

Congrats all around .......... I'll bet your still pleased as can be ..... Great post ....... Looking forward to some pics .......

MAC :D

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

IndigoDually
05-29-2002, 16:12
Your dealer is a good one to work with, so I have been told. Afriend of mine had his mason dump in for work that lasted a week or so and they gave him a loaner dump truck. Not too bad in my book.

Good Luck with youe new addition.

John