PDA

View Full Version : New engine installed

idahokid
03-29-2002, 22:43
Just got my truck back from the dealer...at 9900 miles it had a snapping sound (like our old cars when a spark plug wire was was loose and arcing). They had had to replace one other Max at this dealership, and initially told me it sounded very similar.
GM had them sneak a peak into the uppper end and analyze the oil. They determined that the top end was not oiling properly.....rumored that the first blocks (got mine in Dec. 00) did not have adequate oil porting to the top end. Was informed that the problem was the same as the other Max they replaced.
So here we go breaking it in again, or at least trying to get through a break in period.
If anyone has any more info, I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks,
Rich

stillracing
03-29-2002, 22:58
was it a tick tick tick sound like a typewiter??

NutNbutGMC
03-30-2002, 08:57
Quote:So here we go breaking it in again, or at least trying to get through a break in period.
If anyone has any more info, I'd like to hear about it.
Thanks,
Rich
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Hard and fast. smile.gif
It will run that way for the longevity.

mackin
03-30-2002, 10:22
stillracing ,

I posted on another thread and its been EATEN or I typed it in invisible font........

What was your build date? You had all those problems with your D/A but they have been resolved.Correct? You posted about being in the early production with possible newbie problems. Mine is 05/01 luckily I have not had the problems. If this is a case of mistaken identity. WILL the real one that had the problems chime in.....Unless this post too disappears.On the current post subject I don't believe this the "tick " related syndrome, or there would have been more replacements I'm sure. Theres a lot of tickers out there ........Mine is very mild...
MAC :D
On edit now that I looked at your SIG. I'm sure its not you, sorry, you have a 2002 . This dam missing post invisible font crap... Ill leave it hanging what else I cannot erase AAAHHHGGGGGG!!!!! :mad: :mad:

[ 03-30-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

idahokid
04-01-2002, 13:32
Mine was delivered in December 2000....it is a very early one. It is not really a tick....more of an ignition (spark) snapping....you can hear it best by the front doors with the hood down...intermitten, but continuous. The new motor seems to be doing ok...but less than a 100 miles on it.
Rich

LAK
04-01-2002, 21:12
idahokid

Did the noise seem to be coming from the valve cover area on the passenger side behind the fuel filter?

ChevysRus
04-01-2002, 23:38
Hmmmm, I could easily change my Tick" from a typewriter to a spark snap sound. Difference is Idahokid says it was continuous. Mine is intermittant and only at idle.

Wish someone would figure this out once and for all and not SoCalDmax either LOL

idahokid
04-02-2002, 08:57
As I stated in my last post...it was intermiten....in that it came and went at idle (thats the only time you could hear it and only from outside the vehicle),but it was never gone for more than a second. I think I caught it early, although my wife said she had heard it previously....I'm hard of hearing...her!! (Just kidding dear....in case she reads this!) If anyone has anyway of finding out what it was, perhaps we could track it back to whatever graveyard it goes to.
It definately was eminating from the top of the engine....I could hear it from the drivers side....didn't go over tot he paassenger side....just lifted the hood....hard to hear, but there....put hood down and stand by driver's door and you could hear it well, but not real loud.
Rich

Cowboy_120
04-02-2002, 09:05
I had my truck delivered on December 13, 2000 and mine also has a snapping sound coming from the engine. I have put 56,000kms on it, and there have been no performance problems, but I think I will have the dealer take a look at it again. What did your dealership do to analyze the problem again?

idahokid
04-03-2002, 09:23
Cowboy: I will pull my repair sheet from home and see exactly what it says they did and post again for you.
Rich

theNUT
04-03-2002, 11:04
This all sounds too familliar.

tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

Is that what it sounds like :D . Well, I've had the same problem for the past 23k miles and the dealer says they can't hear it at low RPMs. I told them to remove the plugs and listen again. I WAS PI$$ED.

Everything else seens to be ok.

theNUT

bearman
04-03-2002, 11:29
mackin
That might have been me, my 01 had a build date of 10/00

Origanally poasted by mackin
"What was your build date? You had all those problems with your D/A but they have been resolved.Correct? You posted about being in the early production with possible newbie problems. Mine is 05/01 luckily I have not had the problems. If this is a case of mistaken identity. WILL the real one that had the problems chime in.....Unless this post too disappears.On the current post subject I don't believe this the "tick " related syndrome, or there would have been more replacements I'm sure. Theres a lot of tickers out there ........Mine is very mild..."

Ya, all my problems have been resolved, GM made me a great deal on a 2002 CC Dually
:D :D
Cheers
Bear

idahokid
04-04-2002, 10:04
Cowboy and theNUT: The sound was not a "tic".
This is basically what the repair order stated:
Lack or oil DW W.
Verify rattle in upper valve train: Located to both banks.
Check engine oil: Metal contamination.
Oil pressure check: 60#
Case #5487041
Remove valve covers & check rockers: Rear rockers & push rods discolored. dark metal on cyl. head. Not much oil at rear of cyl. head.
Per tech line: Remove rocker assmbly. & check oil supply w/engine at 0 cranking: Very little oil comint out of rear ports..both sides.
Tech line: reassemble & remove and replace engine.

Hope this helps.
Still running...hope to use it a bit more and get 500 - 800 miles on it, change the oil and load the camper and boat and get to using it again.
Rich