PDA

View Full Version : Allison Trouble

driller37
03-29-2002, 22:55
Well had a sad day yesterday, put my truck thru its first pulling job and it failed, allison has spewed 8liters of oil and not sure from where yet, mechanic thinks a failure of some pump??? got 32,000km on truck with out even a minor problem, trailer being pulled was around the 12,000lb mark thru the BC rockies, has anyone else had trouble with oil spewing out? even with that much weight behind would not drop below 80km/hr

DmaxMaverick
04-01-2002, 03:45
Only hint of a leak I've seen on mine was a loose (undertightened?) filter. It did leak quite a bit in a short time, but stopped after the filter was replaced.

It should be pretty obvious to your tech. as to where the leak may be. I'm SURE he has checked the filter. Anything else would have to be a major blow out. Good luck!

driller37
04-06-2002, 18:26
Well a week later and still no truck, was told a bushing was bad which in turn affected the seal and then something to do with flywheel being replaced also, re-install and take for test drive and the laek is still there, new tranny to be put on order? seems like a very expensive fix to me for just a leak

NutNbutGMC
04-06-2002, 18:39
^... May be expensive (but not for you), however, other than the inconvenience, it's the fix I would prefer.

Just $0.02

driller37
04-06-2002, 18:47
True enough, fix it right and get it back to me, just hope this is not a month wait

bearman
04-06-2002, 19:01
driller37
The 2nd Ally that went out on me did the same thig, oil every where, they just replaced the tranny. it took 6 days to get a new one in and installed in Moose Jaw Sask. Get with Big Al and give him your VIN, he will be able to tell you what really happend to you tranny.
Cheers
Bear

driller37
04-06-2002, 19:41
Thanks Bearman will do, hello Big Al are u out there VIN 1GTHK29181E279903

GlenM
04-08-2002, 18:31
Big Al can you check mine that failed with a massive fluid leak also. Truck down for six days. New tranny installed no charge.
VIN 1GCHK29161E319475

Calgary
04-08-2002, 19:03
Sorry to hear about your tranny problems driller37.

Where's your truck being serviced at?

driller37
04-10-2002, 00:15
Hi Calgary, truck is being serviced at Can-bow Motors in Canmore, the latest i,ve found out is there is a non-serviceable bushing that is leaking, gm is replacing tranny and should be installed by Wed nite.

driller37
04-10-2002, 20:11
Update, recieved truck back with new tranny installed and all is well, excellent service and recommended to all, was told bushings were wore from loose flywheel as the flywheel was also replaced

Buckman
04-26-2002, 14:23
GlenM,

A little birdie tells me that your original transmission has been located and is going back to Allison for teardown evaluation. I have a friend who is trying to get the pertinent information and if/when that happens, I'll let you know what was found. ;)

Hopefully driller37 will see this post as well. That same birdie is watching for his transmission. :cool:

bearman
04-26-2002, 16:35
Cool
New guy with the inside track :D :D ;)
Cheers
Bear

driller37
04-27-2002, 07:59
Thanks Buckman, look forward to seeing your findings on the cause of failure, so far got about 2,000kms on new tranny and all is well,

Buckman
04-29-2002, 08:16
GlenM

The transmission removed from your truck was torn down and my sources have informed me that one of the torque converter lugs had a cracked weld. I'm told that this often occurs if and when the flexplate to converter bolts are improperly torqued or work loose. I believe that you stated on another thread that the starter was also replaced at the same time as the transmission. IMHO that would be a pretty good indication that the bolts for whatever reason were loose which caused the damage permitting the leakage.

;)

Calgary
04-29-2002, 08:27
driller37 - pleased to hear that your new tranny is working well. Had my truck delivered through Can-Bow Motors as well - seem like a nice group of people there. Haven't had any dealings with the service folks as yet.

Thanx for the update Buckman - it's so nice to be able to get the actual facts about things. Also reassuring to know that there's appropriate follow up which hopefully will result in improvements. smile.gif

driller37
04-29-2002, 12:47
Thanks Buckman for the update on GlenM tranny, mine i believe will also fall into that category, as the flywheel was involved in mine as well, advice to all is if your tranny starts downshifting to lower gears while driving and will not allow to shift into higher gears is to stop and check for tranny leak, this is a precautionary safeguard, had the tranny been able to have been serviced with the right servicable parts i would have had no trouble with there fix as i know i did not even come close to overheating the tranny and cooking it, to Calgary, the service people out at Can-Bow where excellent to deal with and would recommend to anyone

GlenM
04-29-2002, 15:53
Buckman,

Thanks for the update!

SDWA
04-30-2002, 22:50
Buckman,

About 2 months ago (if it's not too late):

1GCHK23122F162421

That tranny died around 300 miles...

Scott

Buckman
05-01-2002, 12:06
SDWA

What I have found out so far is that your transmission was sent back to the manufacturing plant for teardown. Nowwww; if my mole can just get the details of what was found!!! :D

If I hear anything, you'll be the first to know. ;)

How is your truck doing now with the replacement transmission? Is it performing to or beyond your wildest expectations?

SDWA
05-01-2002, 18:17
Buckman,

Thanks for the update. New (or was it rebuilt :confused: ) tranny seems to be working perfect. Do have a slight problem with a slow leak out the rear output shaft, drips about 3-4 drops overnight from the weephole on the rubber boot.

Scott

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: SDWA ]</p>

Buckman
05-02-2002, 12:18
SDWA,

The service replacement transmission assembly which was installed in your truck would be a new unit which has been retagged as a service replacement. As to the output seal leak, I would suggest that you get the dealer to inspect and perform repairs. IMHO, it is possible that the technician might have accidently damaged the seal when re-installing the driveline yoke or a piece of grit might have been on the machined area of the yoke where the seal rides causing it to wear/not seal.

:eek:

Buckman
06-14-2002, 12:25
driller37,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My sources confirmed that which you were informed by the dealer. The flexplate to converter bolts had backed out and allowed the converter to move more then it should damaging the pump bushing. :D :D

Happy motoring!!!

driller37
10-13-2002, 13:11
Thanks Buckman , truly appreciated the update on your findings