PDA

View Full Version : steering pump replacement?

pullinpower
10-23-2002, 09:23
Well Alli-max and I went for a ride and got into some pretty thick mud at the duck lease,in the process I got hung in a ditch trying to get out and I lost my power steering and my power brakes.Let me tell ya that this truck is not easy to steer or stop without power assist,my arms are gonna get a great workout till I get this pump replaced.Im at 39k and out of warranty,what do you guys think its gonna cost me for a new pump? Im going to install it myself and was wondering how much of a pain it is to replace. thanks guys

[ 10-23-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

Maverick
10-23-2002, 10:54
I had a similar thing happen last winter. I started up and both were gone. I cranked on it hard both ways and it came back to life. No trouble since. I thought there was a check valve that runs between the pump and the hydro booster. It is possible this is sticking and causeing your problem. The brakes do operate off the pump through the booster. This valve is what my servive guys were trying to tell me was maybe wrong. Let us know.

pullinpower
10-23-2002, 12:59
Maverick,I wish that was all there was to it,I can grab the pulley and slide it out of the pump.I think the shaft is broken inside the pump :mad:

77TransAm
10-23-2002, 13:12
I think the new pump lists for around $360. Changing the pump itself is fairly straightforward, but you might have a harder time swapping the pulley unless you have or can borrow the tool for it. The pulley can be removed with a two- or three-jaw puller and reinstalled with a bolt and some nuts, it's just a lot easier with the right tool.

SoMnDMAX
10-23-2002, 13:19
77T/A, you beat me to it.

I looked in the service manual, and it does look like the pump replacement is an easy job. The most difficult part looks to be the removal and installation of the pulley.

If the pulley and shaft will pull out, you may be able to get it out far enough to access the fasteners holding the pump to the bracket. It'd simplify the removal of the pulley, since you could do it on the bench. Installation would still need to be done on the truck.

[ 10-23-2002: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>

pullinpower
10-23-2002, 13:35
SoMnDMAX,is there anyway you could email me a pic of the pump replacement from the service manual by email? Alli-max and I thought I would have to remove the fan shroud to get to it.I just looked and the pulley does slide out far enough to get to the nuts on the pump.

77transam I was able to get one for $123.15,60 dollar core charge,30 dollar overnight shipping from partszonedot com

[ 10-23-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

FirstDiesel
10-23-2002, 18:19
If you have an AutoZone near you they will "lend" you the puller. What they do is charge your credit card for the price of it and then give you a credit when you return it. I did that a few years ago for the S10. BTW, they do that with lots of the special tools.

Alli-max
10-23-2002, 19:33
:D :D Had fun at that REALLY REALLY nice lease... Likely excuse though. Eldon had to go out and break something so he wouldnt have to deal with the juice! Ha!! If any of ya get to see that nice place, let me warn you... watch out when PP says " you have to fill it to the turkey's butt!" Yes, it is a Wild Turkey shot glass, and he filllllllllls it up!

pullinpower
10-23-2002, 20:20
Hoot,thanks for the offer on the puller,I'll check my local autozone first and if they dont come threw I may need to use yours if ya dont mind cause this truck is a bear to drive right now :D

Alli,glad to see ya made it back safely and I enjoyed our visit.Will have to have ya back to do some duck hunting. But if you remember on the interstate on the way down to forrest city that you where the one sucking the black smoke up that gutter pipe all the way down there ;) heck even mini vans were passing you :D :D

Maverick
10-23-2002, 20:23
PP,
Shaft huh.....that sucks. Now that you say that I remember my dealer saying that about mine and that that was a fairly frequent thing.

SoMnDMAX
10-24-2002, 01:03
Eldon, check your e-mail.

Are the ducks biting down there? It's sucked up here this year. One goose, three teal, one widgeon, and a couple of mallards is all I've been able to get since the opener Sept. 29th. The northern birds are on their way to you guys, as it's getting friggin cold up here....

pullinpower
10-24-2002, 06:48
SoMnDmax,im more of a deer hunter than a duck hunter but I enjoy doing both,sad to hear that your hunting is not going well. Now if that dern powersteering pump goes on easy I'll be good to go again :D

hoot
10-24-2002, 08:32
The deer are gettin really smart around here.....

http://www.redcoat.net/pics/prodeerhunter.jpg

c5dura
10-24-2002, 08:47
Sounds like your pump seized up. I had the same thing happen to me with just 3700 miles on the clock when I ran into a ditch and tried to get back out and my front wheels were stuck pretty good. In my case the pulley actually snapped off the shaft and the serp belt got scredded in the process.

Dealer indicated he had seen this before. Guess you want to be extra careful with larger than stock tires...

pullinpower
10-24-2002, 10:03
Hoot the deer around these parts haven't gotten that smart yet. :D

I was wondering what the install process is of the pulley after I get the new pump mounted to the engine.

pullinpower
10-24-2002, 17:07
Well got the pump from partzone and jumped under the hood to change the pump and had a few bolts out and decided I better take a closer look at the new pump.... guess what? Wrong pump :mad: called bill at partzone and they have me another one shipping tommorrow. Man why can't these guys read part #'s right. :rolleyes:

pullinpower
10-25-2002, 16:06
Ok I got the pump there, and man let me tell you it was kind of a pain in the a$$ with only 2 hands. everything is fine except for my bleeding knuckles.Hope that never happens again.

hoot
10-26-2002, 07:08
pullinpower,

We'll have to keep you in mind for pointers in case we end up in the gutter ;)

BTW: Didi you come to any conclusions as to what happened? Did the pump shaft break from too much steering effort causing undo stress on the pump?

[ 10-26-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

WayCoolKennel
02-10-2003, 10:23
Hi All,

Just thought I'd add to this post for informational purposes and to see if you guys had anymore advice...

Anyway, 23k miles and my brakes/steering inoperable... Good heavens this bad boy is DANGEROUS to drive without power assist... was glad to get down off the mountain yesterday in one piece... btw if anyone ever needs a good workout... try this.. two foot breaking and gorilla steering...

I just dropped mine off at the Stealer.... see what they say.. my truck is totally stock and it went out when I was driving in some small ruts in the snow... ruined my whole day :-(

Must be the pump eh ?? The steering should still work if the hydro boost was out shouldn't it ??

Anyone know if theres a TSB on this ??

--Steve

WayCoolKennel
02-10-2003, 15:16
Here's the scoop on the power steering pump failure I had on my 2002 2500HD D/A..

The issue was the same on mine as others listed here... the PS pump shaft broke...

My theory is this... when steering with a high amount of feedback (i.e. trying to turn the wheel against ruts), coupled with high RPM (high pump rpm and pressure) causes the shaft to break...

This is obviously a unique set of circumstances to occur.. etc... but still it seems to me that Chevy should have a look at this pump shaft in the future...

The biggest issue with me is safety... had I been moving any faster I would have crashed due to sudden loss of braking power...

Anyway, the Stealership was GREAT ! In at 7:30am out at 1:30pm..

FYI,

xwing
07-21-2003, 19:21
My powersteering and powerbrakes went out; my power steering pump also can move the pulley out over an inch; looks like MINE snapped the shaft too?!? This is a defect, this shouldn't happen EVER IMO.

GM dealer wants $389 for pump + $150 installation. I searched Partzone and no longer there; checked at NAPA, Checker, Autozone and they don't carry that pump. GMPartsDirect.com wants $251 shipped, but their site says can be 7-10 days before shipping and I can't wait that long.

ANYplace ELSE have these pumps cheaper?!?
GM Part Number 15772444
Thanks! 2001 Sierra 2500HD SLT D/A Longbed, ~41,000miles

dmaxalliTech
07-21-2003, 20:56
xwing--email me for pump